Re: [Distillers] Making rum, but it wont clear up?

  • Robert1971
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2012
      My rum has been clear although sometimes it has a blue tint.  The blue tint is caused by to much yeast nutrients.  Did you clean your still before running it?

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jan 31, 2012, at 8:19 PM, "No" <bigbadcaddybu@...> wrote:

      I know this maybe a stupid question, I'm making rum, and it won't clear up. My temperature is perfect, my worm is working great, but it's still cloudy. All I use it was brown sugar and yeast, should it be perfectly clear? I haven't gotten enough yet to take a reading with the hydrometer, but I'll post my results as soon as I get enough. I have a picture, but I can't post it from my phone.

    • No
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2012
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert1971 <robertjohnson1971@...> wrote:

        > My rum has been clear although sometimes it has a blue tint. The blue tint is caused by to much yeast nutrients. Did you clean your still before running it?
        >
        > Sent from my iPhone
        >
        > On Jan 31, 2012, at 8:19 PM, "No" <bigbadcaddybu@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I know this maybe a stupid question, I'm making rum, and it won't clear up. My temperature is perfect, my worm is working great, but it's still cloudy. All I use it was brown sugar and yeast, should it be perfectly clear? I haven't gotten enough yet to take a reading with the hydrometer, but I'll post my results as soon as I get enough. I have a picture, but I can't post it from my phone.

        Thanx for the help guys, but for some reason it still won't work. I Clean out the pot before and after, and I'm running right at 175* Before it goes in the still I'm at 90% and after I'm at about 85%. My moonshine is always perfectly clear, and from what I'm reading the rum should be too. Maybe my recipe is off in some way, and that's causing the cloudiness. I'm gonna try again in a couple weeks with the same recipe, and see what happens. I'll let you know what my results are after I try again.