Bicarbonate Soda/Baking Soda

  • thepatchworkdoll
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 29, 2012
      How many stillers out there use Bicarbonate Soda on their low wines prior to final strip. What quantities are used and how long before final strip. Any info greatly appreciated.
      Regards
      Patch
    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 29, 2012
        When I'm distilling junkahol from feints or re-distilling sugar wash low wine, I use bicarb. Operating on the assumption that the ester hydrolysis (destruction, really, with bicarb) reaction moves faster at the elevated temperatures of pre-boil, I add it to the boiler before I start heating for stilling. Because the amount isn't critical as long as it's too much (not the limiting reactant and a bit more), I throw about half a handful in maybe 12-13 gallons of wash.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "thepatchworkdoll" <peter.coleman20@...> wrote:

        > How many stillers out there use Bicarbonate Soda on their low wines prior to final strip. What quantities are used and how long before final strip. Any info greatly appreciated.
        > Regards
        > Patch

      • Ion Brown
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 29, 2012
          Hi fokes,
          I was under the impression that the use of bicarb was to put into a jar with the ethanol and left a while to absorb the
          off flavours in the spirit, and then decanted off the bicarb. Other wise all the off flavour are transferred back into
          the ethanol when heated up.
          But then I don't know everything. My wife told me that !
          Regards Ion