Spiral prismatic packing (SPP)

  • jamesarobinson@xtra.co.nz
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 10, 2012
      I would like to produce my own packing but cannot find a supplier of the stainless steel wire online with the relatively small quantities required. Can anyone help me?
      Cheers,
      Jim
    • jim horton
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 10, 2012
        try a welding shop and look for spools of stainless steel welding wire for a wire feeder. It is available in different gauges and comes on spools ranging from 1 or 2 pounds to 10 or more pounds a spool. the alloy also varies by application.
      • Dirck Donson
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 10, 2012
          I used 316SS Welding wire...it can be had on ebay for ~$5-7usd a pound plus shipping.

          I tried all sorts of other wires, fishing, jewelry,...nothing comes close cost wise.

          You need ~3.7 pounds of wire per liter of SPP, figure your volume of column from there.

        • jamesarobinson@xtra.co.nz
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 10, 2012
            Unfortunately Jim welding wire only goes dowm to 0.8mm dia. I'm looking for 0.25 to 0.5mm dia.
            Cheers,
            Jim

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, jim horton <jimhorton1963@...> wrote:

            > try a welding shop and look for spools of stainless steel welding wire for a wire feeder. It is available in different gauges and comes on spools ranging from 1 or 2 pounds to 10 or more pounds a spool. the alloy also varies by application.

          • Valdo
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 11, 2012
              Hi!

              Before doing anything read this Dog's Master thread - http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4245&start=75

              SS wire diameter depends on your column diameter.

              SPP measurements for the optimal performance must be:
              diameter of packing 1/10 to 1/12 diameter of column
              diameter of SS wire 1/10 diameter of packing

              If you have 3" column (about 75 mm) then wire diameter should be 0,7...0,8 mm. Thats quite logical because of weight of SPP. 0,4 mm SPP in 2 m high 3" column will be crushed at the bottom by packing own weight!

              Here in Europa beekeepers use 0,4...0,5 mm 304 SS wire and it could bought by kg online.

              Hope this helps a bit.

              Ahto
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesarobinson@..." <jamesarobinson@...> wrote:

              > I would like to produce my own packing but cannot find a supplier of the stainless steel wire online with the relatively small quantities required. Can anyone help me?
              > Cheers,
              > Jim

            • Dirck Donson
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 11, 2012
                You should never need 2m of SPP in a 2" or 3" column, as you can attain azetrope very easily under a meter with etched SPP...

                www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5092

                3.5 ltrs fills 24" of a 3" column, and weighs ~13 pounds. 1.2 liters will fill 24" in a 2" column and weighs ~3.7 pounds.

                This provides 13+ Theoretical Plates in either size! From 13+ Plates you can reach azetrope with minimal reflux while producing a liter every 20 minutes.

                0.8mm SS 316 welding wire is strong enough that you will never crush it, under it's own weight in a 2" or 3" column.

                .8mm/0,031" dia welding wire is also where the price break falls. Anything smaller exponentially inflates the price per pound.

                3.5 ltrs of SPP made from 0.8mm 316 SS welding wire etched cost ten hours and $90 usd.You can make mandrels from screw driver bits and cut the SPP into bits by hand.

                Etched SPP is the best, don't get too worried about the wire diameter. 0.8mm will still be three times better than SS scrub pads.

                Or you can buy commercial SPP from a lab supply house for $200usd a pound...

              • jamesarobinson@xtra.co.nz
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 11, 2012
                  Thank you Dirck and all those other people that responded to my request. I now have the option of welding wire or beehive frame wire at about the same cost.Really appreciate the help and advice.
                  Cheers,
                  Jim

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 11, 2012
                    the largest wire we use is .032 which is .81mm. it is available in .023 which is .58mm.  .025 is .65mm

                    American Wire Gauge
                    (AWG)
                    Diameter
                    (inches)