Re: Aged dunder fermentation

  • Alex Castillo
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 8, 2012

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Jude <vegbenz300@...> wrote:

      > Also, I have quite a few batches of fermented cane juice (wines) that I
      > won't be able to run very soon. I expect that by the time i can get to
      > them all some of them may have sat for 2 to 3 months. It's winter here,
      > but there are temperature variations these will be subject to. I'm
      > wondering how dangerous or possibly beneficial this is, in terms of ruining
      > the final distillate for a rum type product. Is there anything I should
      > try to help it keep that amount of time? The wines are about 10-12%
      > alcohol.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Chris

      If well covered, initially shouldn´t have much problems, but to be sure make someone add a generous amounts of tails from the same kind of wash you have, that will prevent that some unwanted bacteria produce off flavors.  If you don´t have those tails use any others.  Sugar juice rum is smoother in flavor than molasses´ rums, but probably neutral or grain tails won´t affect that much the flavor profile.  If you have no tails at all, just wait ´till you get home and smell the fermented wash is smells fine run it.

      Good luck!

      A!

    • Carlos alberto Sanchez
      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 22, 2013