Re: Aluminum pot?

  • No
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 8, 2012
      Thanx for all the replies guys, I've always used a stainless steel pot so all the info is great. The pot I was using was only a 4qt, so I cant get much mash in it

      I bought a 16qt pot and it works pretty good.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "shas1100" <shascho@...> wrote:

      > It's easier to scorch your sugars with an aluminium pot,
      > but remember that the whole point of distilling
      > is to separate liquids on the basis of their volatility.
      > Aluminium is neither a liquid nor volatile
      > at the temperatures you are using.
      > You will NOT end up with it in your moonshine.
      > Really.
      >
      > So relax, lift your glass, and don't worry!

    • roger shattuck
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 8, 2012
        Just tossing this out there: would acid content of the mash react with the aluminum? Not that it wouldn't with steel or copper I suppose. I've just had nasty luck doing beer in an aluminum pot.

        Thanx for all the replies guys, I've always used a stainless steel pot so all the info is great. The pot I was using was only a 4qt, so I cant get much mash in it

        I bought a 16qt pot and it works pretty good.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "shas1100" <shascho@...> wrote:

        > It's easier to scorch your sugars with an aluminium pot,
        > but remember that the whole point of distilling
        > is to separate liquids on the basis of their volatility.
        > Aluminium is neither a liquid nor volatile
        > at the temperatures you are using.
        > You will NOT end up with it in your moonshine.
        > Really.
        >
        > So relax, lift your glass, and don't worry!

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            Distillers-digest@yahoogroups.com
            Distillers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • No
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 10, 2012
          That's exactly the same reason I asked. I've been told be some that it will be just fine, and others who say no way! So far I haven't had any issues, but I've only done one batch in my aluminum pot. It tastes just the same as my earlier stuff I did in a stainless pot. Pending a chemical analysis, I can't say any more then that. Im sure if someone were to have it analyzed we would be talking parts per million, so if it is bad for you it will take a long tome of drinking it to make any difference.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, roger shattuck <happy.feat@...> wrote:

          > Just tossing this out there: would acid content of the mash react with the aluminum? Not that it wouldn't with steel or copper I suppose. I've just had nasty luck doing beer in an aluminum pot.

        • shas1100
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 11, 2012
            "I've been told be some that it will be
            just fine, and others who say no way!"

            The folks who warn against aluminium boilers
            need to take a physics course.
            The ONLY way anything can get from the boiler to the collector
            is by being first vaporised and then condensed.
            The boiler is operating at 100 degrees Celsius AT MOST,
            while the boiling point of aluminium is 2519 °C.
            Ain't gonna happen.

            You might remind your well-meaning but uninformed advisers
            that this is exactly WHY people distill their drinking water,
            to leave salt, bacteria, and metals behind in the boiler.

            Enjoy your drink, it's as pure as can be!