Grain Sorghum Whiskey

  • hugh harnett
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 8, 2012
      Hi, I was wondering is anybody had tried making whisky from grain sorghum, (i.e. not sweet sorghum) before? Here in South Africa, a malted sorghum is used as part of traditional African beer (Basically cornmeal + malted sorghum allowed to ferment) and its very easy to get a hold of cheaply (unlike malted barley).

      I am keen to give it a try, just wondered if anybody had tried it before?

      Thanks!

      Hugh
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 8, 2012
        The Chinese make a lot of clear grain sorghum spirit. They do not malt but use natural enzyme producing moulds on cooked grain.

        http://www.jiangnan.edu.cn/zhgjiu/umain.htm

        wal

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "hugh harnett" <hugh.harnett@...> wrote:

        > Hi, I was wondering is anybody had tried making whisky from grain sorghum, (i.e. not sweet sorghum) before? Here in South Africa, a malted sorghum is used as part of traditional African beer (Basically cornmeal + malted sorghum allowed to ferment) and its very easy to get a hold of cheaply (unlike malted barley).
        >
        > I am keen to give it a try, just wondered if anybody had tried it before?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Hugh

      • Chris Jude

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 10, 2012