Aluminum pot?

  • No
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 21, 2011
      I NEED to cook some mash(moonshine) by Christmas and my old stainless steel pot gave it up last week. I've been looking for a new one, but everything I find in a reasonable size is aluminum. Can I use an aluminum pot as a temp solution and not poison anyone? I know the aluminum will corrode, I just don't know if it will kill me hahahaha Im sure this has been asked 1000's of times, but Im at work, and don't have time to search threw 100's of posts for the rite answer. I need a quick answer if possible, but I know most of you guys are on the other side of the world so...... hahahahaha! Thanx for the help
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 22, 2011
        Aluminium oxide will not vaporize so you will be fine. The corrosion is also very minimal so I wouldn't worry. After all, cooking some tomato sauce in aluminum pot is just as bad as distilling and they do it all the time in restaurants.

        Slainte, Riku

        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 22, 2011
          The oxide layer is a protective coating which should not be scrubbed to expose pure aluminium (even when used in cooking).
          wal

          > Aluminium oxide will not vaporize so you will be fine. The corrosion is also very minimal so I wouldn't worry. After all, cooking some tomato sauce in aluminum pot is just as bad as distilling and they do it all the time in restaurants.
          >
          > Slainte, Riku
          >
          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "No" <bigbadcaddybu@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I NEED to cook some mash(moonshine) by Christmas and my old stainless steel pot gave it up last week. I've been looking for a new one, but everything I find in a reasonable size is aluminum. Can I use an aluminum pot as a temp solution and not poison anyone? I know the aluminum will corrode, I just don't know if it will kill me hahahaha Im sure this has been asked 1000's of times, but Im at work, and don't have time to search threw 100's of posts for the rite answer. I need a quick answer if possible, but I know most of you guys are on the other side of the world so...... hahahahaha! Thanx for the help

        • tgfoitwoods
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 22, 2011
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "No" <bigbadcaddybu@...> wrote:

            > I NEED to cook some mash(moonshine) by Christmas and my old stainless
            steel pot gave it up last week. I've been looking for a new one, but
            everything I find in a reasonable size is aluminum. Can I use an
            aluminum pot as a temp solution and not poison anyone? I know the
            aluminum will corrode, I just don't know if it will kill me hahahaha Im
            sure this has been asked 1000's of times, but Im at work, and don't have
            time to search threw 100's of posts for the rite answer. I need a quick
            answer if possible, but I know most of you guys are on the other side of
            the world so...... hahahahaha! Thanx for the help

            All things being equal, aluminum will work fine, with no odd tastes and
            no poisoning. Unfortunately, all things aren't always equal, and some
            aluminum pots and lids are way flimsy, and can cause a problem. Aluminum
            pressure cookers work great.

          • No
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 23, 2011
              I've been getting a lot of mixed answers, some say yes, others say NO!

              My mash has been sitting for 2 weeks now, so Im sure it has ether gone bad or will be soon. I hate to do it, but I guess Im gonna have to toss it and start over when I find a new pot. I can't afford a $200+ pot, so Im planning on building one my self out of a pony keg. If I do that my thumper will be to small, and I'll have to rebuild it to. Im going from a small one gallon at a time, to a big time operation, so I guess that's to be expected. What thread do I look at for pix of other peoples set ups?

              > The oxide layer is a protective coating which should not be scrubbed to expose pure aluminium (even when used in cooking).
              > wal
              >
              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Aluminium oxide will not vaporize so you will be fine. The corrosion is also very minimal so I wouldn't worry. After all, cooking some tomato sauce in aluminum pot is just as bad as distilling and they do it all the time in restaurants.
              > >
              > > Slainte, Riku
              > >
              > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "No" <bigbadcaddybu@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I NEED to cook some mash(moonshine) by Christmas and my old stainless steel pot gave it up last week. I've been looking for a new one, but everything I find in a reasonable size is aluminum. Can I use an aluminum pot as a temp solution and not poison anyone? I know the aluminum will corrode, I just don't know if it will kill me hahahaha Im sure this has been asked 1000's of times, but Im at work, and don't have time to search threw 100's of posts for the rite answer. I need a quick answer if possible, but I know most of you guys are on the other side of the world so...... hahahahaha! Thanx for the help

            • Thursty2
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 23, 2011
                Paid AU$20 for a 19 litre SS pot with glass lid. Not heavy duty, but SS nevertheless. I use it for heating milk in cheesemaking. Got it from Big W (Australia). Walmart has them maybe?

                Cheers
                thursty2

                ----------In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "No" <bigbadcaddybu@...> wrote:

                > I've been getting a lot of mixed answers, some say yes, others say NO!
                >
                > My mash has been sitting for 2 weeks now, so Im sure it has ether gone bad or will be soon. I hate to do it, but I guess Im gonna have to toss it and start over when I find a new pot. I can't afford a $200+ pot, so Im planning on building one my self out of a pony keg. If I do that my thumper will be to small, and I'll have to rebuild it to. Im going from a small one gallon at a time, to a big time operation, so I guess that's to be expected. What thread do I look at for pix of other peoples set ups?

                > > The oxide layer is a protective coating which should not be scrubbed to expose pure aluminium (even when used in cooking).
                > > wal
                > >
                > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Aluminium oxide will not vaporize so you will be fine. The corrosion is also very minimal so I wouldn't worry. After all, cooking some tomato sauce in aluminum pot is just as bad as distilling and they do it all the time in restaurants.
                > > >
                > > > Slainte, Riku

              • jim horton
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 23, 2011
                  i f you live anywhere in north texas, come on over and i will make you one.

                  Paid AU$20 for a 19 litre SS pot with glass lid. Not heavy duty, but SS nevertheless. I use it for heating milk in cheesemaking. Got it from Big W (Australia). Walmart has them maybe?

                  Cheers
                  thursty2

                  ----------In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "No" <bigbadcaddybu@...> wrote:

                  > I've been getting a lot of mixed answers, some say yes, others say NO!
                  >
                  > My mash has been sitting for 2 weeks now, so Im sure it has ether gone bad or will be soon. I hate to do it, but I guess Im gonna have to toss it and start over when I find a new pot. I can't afford a $200+ pot, so Im planning on building one my self out of a pony keg. If I do that my thumper will be to small, and I'll have to rebuild it to. Im going from a small one gallon at a time, to a big time operation, so I guess that's to be expected. What thread do I look at for pix of other peoples set ups?

                  > > The oxide layer is a protective coating which should not be scrubbed to expose pure aluminium (even when used in cooking).
                  > > wal
                  > >
                  > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Aluminium oxide will not vaporize so you will be fine. The corrosion is also very minimal so I wouldn't worry. After all, cooking some tomato sauce in aluminum pot is just as bad as distilling and they do it all the time in restaurants.
                  > > >
                  > > > Slainte, Riku

                • Adam Fordham
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 23, 2011

                    Been following this post. My opinion is aluminum mash pot is perfectly safe to use. I use a bayou bay pot I got at Lowe's.

                    Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 23, 2011

                      Bayou Classic

                      Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                      Been following this post. My opinion is aluminum mash pot is perfectly safe to use. I use a bayou bay pot I got at Lowe's.

                      Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                      i f you live anywhere in north texas, come on over and i will make you one.

                      Paid AU$20 for a 19 litre SS pot with glass lid. Not heavy duty, but SS nevertheless. I use it for heating milk in cheesemaking. Got it from Big W (Australia). Walmart has them maybe?

                      Cheers
                      thursty2

                      ----------In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "No" <bigbadcaddybu@...> wrote:

                      > I've been getting a lot of mixed answers, some say yes, others say NO!
                      >
                      > My mash has been sitting for 2 weeks now, so Im sure it has ether gone bad or will be soon. I hate to do it, but I guess Im gonna have to toss it and start over when I find a new pot. I can't afford a $200+ pot, so Im planning on building one my self out of a pony keg. If I do that my thumper will be to small, and I'll have to rebuild it to. Im going from a small one gallon at a time, to a big time operation, so I guess that's to be expected. What thread do I look at for pix of other peoples set ups?

                      > > The oxide layer is a protective coating which should not be scrubbed to expose pure aluminium (even when used in cooking).
                      > > wal
                      > >
                      > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Aluminium oxide will not vaporize so you will be fine. The corrosion is also very minimal so I wouldn't worry. After all, cooking some tomato sauce in aluminum pot is just as bad as distilling and they do it all the time in restaurants.
                      > > >
                      > > > Slainte, Riku

                    • Max Norton
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 24, 2011
                        Don't toss it yet! Rack it if it's done and put it in a carboy or back in the primary under an air lock. It will be fine. The keg is a good idea. You can get into all the modifications if you want. Look for pictures on home distiller.org. Brewhaus makes an adapter for fitting a column on a keg. Won't have to cut it up. Makes it a little harder to clean. You can come up only a few inches with the column then come out with your Lyman arm going to your thumper.

                        Don't mess with the old dogs... Age and skill will always overcome youth and treachery! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
                      • Dave
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 24, 2011
                          I just bought a stainless 20 quart pot with glass lid at Walmart for $60.00 USD in N.C. It had the Better Homes & Gardens name on it. It has an aluminum heat spreader on the bottom, (on the outside).  Check this link. http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?tab_value=All&search_query=stainless+steel+stock+pot&search_constraint=0&ref=&ic=16_0
                        • geoff burrows
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 24, 2011

                            I have an Irish 10 gallon Imperial aluminium milk churn that I acquired and converted in Sligo, Ireland where I used to lived and I started the distilling in 2005 and am still using it today.  The wall of the boiler is nearly a quarter of an inch thick.  And very hard to bend or even scratch below the surface corrosion.  Aluminium only becomes bad in distilling if you were to expose high strength ethanol to fresh raw exposed clean cut surfaced aluminium even then you need a large surface area to be dangerous.  Aluminium pressure cookers for sale in stores will bring the boiling point of water well above 100 degrees C and we only need to take off ethanol at about 78 C. And they are considered safe.  They (the pressure cookers) have still passed all food safety standards in America and Europe all over the world.  So hey what do they know that we don’t?

                                 The amount of aluminium that you would ingest through the corrosion surface layer is so infinitesimally small (we’re talking PPM parts per million) as compared to the bad alcohols in your wash it’s not worth worrying about.  And if you’re worried about ingested poison off the aluminium boiler I would give up distilling because your wash is going to be the thing I would be more worried about especially the low boiling alcohols at the start of the run (that nail polish smelling stuff, the rubbing alcohol stuff and some of tham' thar' congeners and fusel thingy’s I think)

                                 There is such a thing as being over cautious.  Like the biggy that everyone seems to forget about when they are distilling and that’s ethanol because ethanol is poisonous (and in high strength it is very poisonous)  But does it stop you drinking it?  No.  It  certainly doesn’t.  You’re trying your frigging hardest to make the bloody stuff in as clean and high strength as you can.

                                 Ethanol will have an effect on all carbon based life forms and if strong enough it will kill them with us we get drunk or when we drink too much our bodies will reject it and we will vomit even in extreme case pee ourselves in the rush to get rid of it and if you have lost total control of your body you’ll drown on your own vomit, frightening isn’t it.  So moderation is the key word in drinking.  The  Laphroaig advert say it all “Drink Responsibly” .

                                 So if you’re frightened of being poisoned don’t drink beer, wine, whiskey, bourbon, vodka, brandy especially the stone based fruit varieties of brandy?  Don’t drink anything with ethanol in it.  Sounds like I’m taking crazy eh?  But you have to draw a line somewhere as to what you think is really bad, make your own judgement call and take things from there.  Can you see the point I’m making?

                                 As for that wash don’t chuck it run it I’ve had wash sitting on lees well over a month and it still tasted good before distilling.  I’ve distilled it and it has distilled very well.  You can always keep it and don’t like it you can use it to light the Bar-bee-que with or if not too bad, chuck it back into the next run.

                            Geoff

                          • w_upnorth
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 26, 2011
                              I found this site, hope it helps someone.
                              http://www.spikebrewing.com/

                              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "No" <bigbadcaddybu@...> wrote:

                              > I NEED to cook some mash(moonshine) by Christmas and my old stainless steel pot gave it up last week. I've been looking for a new one, but everything I find in a reasonable size is aluminum. Can I use an aluminum pot as a temp solution and not poison anyone? I know the aluminum will corrode, I just don't know if it will kill me hahahaha Im sure this has been asked 1000's of times, but Im at work, and don't have time to search threw 100's of posts for the rite answer. I need a quick answer if possible, but I know most of you guys are on the other side of the world so...... hahahahaha! Thanx for the help

                            • shas1100
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 5, 2012
                                It's easier to scorch your sugars with an aluminium pot,
                                but remember that the whole point of distilling
                                is to separate liquids on the basis of their volatility.
                                Aluminium is neither a liquid nor volatile
                                at the temperatures you are using.
                                You will NOT end up with it in your moonshine.
                                Really.

                                So relax, lift your glass, and don't worry!
                              • No
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 8, 2012
                                  Thanx for all the replies guys, I've always used a stainless steel pot so all the info is great. The pot I was using was only a 4qt, so I cant get much mash in it

                                  I bought a 16qt pot and it works pretty good.

                                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "shas1100" <shascho@...> wrote:

                                  > It's easier to scorch your sugars with an aluminium pot,
                                  > but remember that the whole point of distilling
                                  > is to separate liquids on the basis of their volatility.
                                  > Aluminium is neither a liquid nor volatile
                                  > at the temperatures you are using.
                                  > You will NOT end up with it in your moonshine.
                                  > Really.
                                  >
                                  > So relax, lift your glass, and don't worry!

                                • roger shattuck
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 8, 2012
                                    Just tossing this out there: would acid content of the mash react with the aluminum? Not that it wouldn't with steel or copper I suppose. I've just had nasty luck doing beer in an aluminum pot.

                                    Thanx for all the replies guys, I've always used a stainless steel pot so all the info is great. The pot I was using was only a 4qt, so I cant get much mash in it

                                    I bought a 16qt pot and it works pretty good.

                                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "shas1100" <shascho@...> wrote:

                                    > It's easier to scorch your sugars with an aluminium pot,
                                    > but remember that the whole point of distilling
                                    > is to separate liquids on the basis of their volatility.
                                    > Aluminium is neither a liquid nor volatile
                                    > at the temperatures you are using.
                                    > You will NOT end up with it in your moonshine.
                                    > Really.
                                    >
                                    > So relax, lift your glass, and don't worry!

                                    <*> Your email settings:
                                        Individual Email | Traditional

                                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                                    <*> To change settings via email:
                                        Distillers-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                        Distillers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                  • No
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 10, 2012
                                      That's exactly the same reason I asked. I've been told be some that it will be just fine, and others who say no way! So far I haven't had any issues, but I've only done one batch in my aluminum pot. It tastes just the same as my earlier stuff I did in a stainless pot. Pending a chemical analysis, I can't say any more then that. Im sure if someone were to have it analyzed we would be talking parts per million, so if it is bad for you it will take a long tome of drinking it to make any difference.

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 11, 2012
                                        "I've been told be some that it will be
                                        just fine, and others who say no way!"

                                        The folks who warn against aluminium boilers
                                        need to take a physics course.
                                        The ONLY way anything can get from the boiler to the collector
                                        is by being first vaporised and then condensed.
                                        The boiler is operating at 100 degrees Celsius AT MOST,
                                        while the boiling point of aluminium is 2519 °C.
                                        Ain't gonna happen.

                                        You might remind your well-meaning but uninformed advisers
                                        that this is exactly WHY people distill their drinking water,
                                        to leave salt, bacteria, and metals behind in the boiler.

                                        Enjoy your drink, it's as pure as can be!