Re: E ARC Update

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 10, 2011
      This is worth a try...

      http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5127&start=0&hilit=needle

      ====================================

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Thursty2" <thursty2@...> wrote:

      > It would appear then, from what I do, ie., regulating the take-off flow with the needle valve, that I'm using RLM - Reflux Liquid Management.
      >
      > In the beginning, setting the drip (take-off) rate, took some fiddling. I just cannot find a true (long) needle valve. The one I have has more a cone shaped needle and a rubber seal which has a "memory" when making fine adjustments - I have to turn past the point I want to be, then back off a fraction, then doh-c-doh a bit more. But I've gotten to know it's traits. Still looking though to find a better valve.
      >
      > Cheers
      > thursty2
      >

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "morganfield1" <morganfield1@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Glad to have you, Thirsty,
      > >
      > > The N/S was, and still is, a good design, if not outdated. Like you say, it's easy to biuld, and if you watch it carefully, will give great results.
      > >
      > > LM, VM, etc. are different ways to get high quality ethanol. LM is liquid management, VM is Vapor Management, and you've probably heard this before. RLM, if I remember right, is Reflux Liquid Management where not only is takeoff regulated, but also liquid that is refluxed back to the boiler, but I could be misinformed about that (wouldn't be the first time!).
      > >
      > > Tip one,
      > > Morgan
      > >

      > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Thursty2" <thursty2@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Gents, If I may join in:
      > > >
      > > > I too have built a 50mm Nixon/Stone with 1100mm column. My very first build. After researching the distilling subject all over the web, I decided N/S was the design for me. The building of it was easily accomplished, and it gives results I can count on. I don't understand LM, VM, RLM etc., and because the process I'm using is simple and gives excellent results, I can live with not knowing.
      > > >
      > > > Product from my N/S is taken at around a litre per hour from a 25 litre 18% (approx) dextrose wash boiling on 1350watts.
      > > >
      > > > After the slow take of the 100ml fores, I take 100 heads, then 3.5 - 4 litres mids. The tails are taken up to 84 - 86 degrees at which time I shut the run down. (Received in the mail yesterday one digital thermometer which reads to 1 dec place, to replace my whole numbers only thermometer).
      > > >
      > > > Rarely is the product polished now that the results are consistent.
      > > >
      > > > Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
      > > >
      > > > Cheers
      > > > thursty2

    • Thursty2
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 11, 2011
        My perception of an ideal needle valve is a fat needle with a taper, perhaps 3 to 5 times its diameter, and an equally deep matching seat. It would have a fine thread to open and close it. The valve in the drawing appears not to have those attributes, having instead a needle that is thin, and a short taper, with a shallow seat. But I'll keep looking.

        I don't like the thought of taking the reflux outside the column into the cold and then re-introducing it back into the column's vapour path.

        Thanks and cheers
        thursty2