Re: E ARC Update

  • morganfield1
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 8, 2011
      Hi Riku,

      I run it simple LM. There's a lip on the bottom edge of the pipe going thru the tee at the top of the column, which causes a resevour in the bottom where the takeoff tube is. What I don't collect, drips back into the column. Very simple (and cheap!). I'd like to thank you again for your help with this, and many other of my endeavors.

      Tip one,
      Morgan

      > Good old Nixon-Stone head, reminds me of my first still :) Do you run it on RLM or LM mode?
      >
      > Slainte, Riku

    • Thursty2
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 8, 2011
        Gents, If I may join in:

        I too have built a 50mm Nixon/Stone with 1100mm column. My very first build. After researching the distilling subject all over the web, I decided N/S was the design for me. The building of it was easily accomplished, and it gives results I can count on. I don't understand LM, VM, RLM etc., and because the process I'm using is simple and gives excellent results, I can live with not knowing.

        Product from my N/S is taken at around a litre per hour from a 25 litre 18% (approx) dextrose wash boiling on 1350watts.

        After the slow take of the 100ml fores, I take 100 heads, then 3.5 - 4 litres mids. The tails are taken up to 84 - 86 degrees at which time I shut the run down. (Received in the mail yesterday one digital thermometer which reads to 1 dec place, to replace my whole numbers only thermometer).

        Rarely is the product polished now that the results are consistent.

        Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

        Cheers
        thursty2

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "morganfield1" <morganfield1@...> wrote:

        > Hi Riku,
        >
        > I run it simple LM. There's a lip on the bottom edge of the pipe going thru the tee at the top of the column, which causes a resevour in the bottom where the takeoff tube is. What I don't collect, drips back into the column. Very simple (and cheap!). I'd like to thank you again for your help with this, and many other of my endeavors.
        >
        > Tip one,
        > Morgan
        >

        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Good old Nixon-Stone head, reminds me of my first still :) Do you run it on RLM or LM mode?
        > >
        > > Slainte, Riku

      • morganfield1
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 9, 2011
          Glad to have you, Thirsty,

          The N/S was, and still is, a good design, if not outdated. Like you say, it's easy to biuld, and if you watch it carefully, will give great results.

          LM, VM, etc. are different ways to get high quality ethanol. LM is liquid management, VM is Vapor Management, and you've probably heard this before. RLM, if I remember right, is Reflux Liquid Management where not only is takeoff regulated, but also liquid that is refluxed back to the boiler, but I could be misinformed about that (wouldn't be the first time!).

          Tip one,
          Morgan

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Thursty2" <thursty2@...> wrote:

          > Gents, If I may join in:
          >
          > I too have built a 50mm Nixon/Stone with 1100mm column. My very first build. After researching the distilling subject all over the web, I decided N/S was the design for me. The building of it was easily accomplished, and it gives results I can count on. I don't understand LM, VM, RLM etc., and because the process I'm using is simple and gives excellent results, I can live with not knowing.
          >
          > Product from my N/S is taken at around a litre per hour from a 25 litre 18% (approx) dextrose wash boiling on 1350watts.
          >
          > After the slow take of the 100ml fores, I take 100 heads, then 3.5 - 4 litres mids. The tails are taken up to 84 - 86 degrees at which time I shut the run down. (Received in the mail yesterday one digital thermometer which reads to 1 dec place, to replace my whole numbers only thermometer).
          >
          > Rarely is the product polished now that the results are consistent.
          >
          > Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
          >
          > Cheers
          > thursty2

        • Thursty2
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 9, 2011
            It would appear then, from what I do, ie., regulating the take-off flow with the needle valve, that I'm using RLM - Reflux Liquid Management.

            In the beginning, setting the drip (take-off) rate, took some fiddling. I just cannot find a true (long) needle valve. The one I have has more a cone shaped needle and a rubber seal which has a "memory" when making fine adjustments - I have to turn past the point I want to be, then back off a fraction, then doh-c-doh a bit more. But I've gotten to know it's traits. Still looking though to find a better valve.

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 10, 2011
              This is worth a try...

              http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5127&start=0&hilit=needle

              ====================================

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Thursty2" <thursty2@...> wrote:

              > It would appear then, from what I do, ie., regulating the take-off flow with the needle valve, that I'm using RLM - Reflux Liquid Management.
              >
              > In the beginning, setting the drip (take-off) rate, took some fiddling. I just cannot find a true (long) needle valve. The one I have has more a cone shaped needle and a rubber seal which has a "memory" when making fine adjustments - I have to turn past the point I want to be, then back off a fraction, then doh-c-doh a bit more. But I've gotten to know it's traits. Still looking though to find a better valve.
              >
              > Cheers
              > thursty2
              >

              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "morganfield1" <morganfield1@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Glad to have you, Thirsty,
              > >
              > > The N/S was, and still is, a good design, if not outdated. Like you say, it's easy to biuld, and if you watch it carefully, will give great results.
              > >
              > > LM, VM, etc. are different ways to get high quality ethanol. LM is liquid management, VM is Vapor Management, and you've probably heard this before. RLM, if I remember right, is Reflux Liquid Management where not only is takeoff regulated, but also liquid that is refluxed back to the boiler, but I could be misinformed about that (wouldn't be the first time!).
              > >
              > > Tip one,
              > > Morgan
              > >

              > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Thursty2" <thursty2@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Gents, If I may join in:
              > > >
              > > > I too have built a 50mm Nixon/Stone with 1100mm column. My very first build. After researching the distilling subject all over the web, I decided N/S was the design for me. The building of it was easily accomplished, and it gives results I can count on. I don't understand LM, VM, RLM etc., and because the process I'm using is simple and gives excellent results, I can live with not knowing.
              > > >
              > > > Product from my N/S is taken at around a litre per hour from a 25 litre 18% (approx) dextrose wash boiling on 1350watts.
              > > >
              > > > After the slow take of the 100ml fores, I take 100 heads, then 3.5 - 4 litres mids. The tails are taken up to 84 - 86 degrees at which time I shut the run down. (Received in the mail yesterday one digital thermometer which reads to 1 dec place, to replace my whole numbers only thermometer).
              > > >
              > > > Rarely is the product polished now that the results are consistent.
              > > >
              > > > Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
              > > >
              > > > Cheers
              > > > thursty2

            • Thursty2
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 11, 2011
                My perception of an ideal needle valve is a fat needle with a taper, perhaps 3 to 5 times its diameter, and an equally deep matching seat. It would have a fine thread to open and close it. The valve in the drawing appears not to have those attributes, having instead a needle that is thin, and a short taper, with a shallow seat. But I'll keep looking.

                I don't like the thought of taking the reflux outside the column into the cold and then re-introducing it back into the column's vapour path.

                Thanks and cheers
                thursty2