Chucking the first 50ml

  • Thursty2
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 23, 2011
      Almost everywhere that the process of distilling is discussed, the issue of how much liquid makes up the foreshots seems to settle on 50ml.

      Chuck the first 50ml away. (?)
      Is that 50ml out of a 25 ltr boil, or 50ml from a 10ltr boil?
      What if the batch boiling away is 50 ltrs. Do we still chuck away the only the first 50ml?

      I think there is a formula, and someone on this forum perhaps knows it. Once known on what volume the first 50ml is based the calculation would be simple for any size batch.

      cheers
      thursty2
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 23, 2011
        In general, they say 50 ml per 20 liter in reflux mode. In pot still mode, 100 to 200 ml per 20 liters.

        Steve Roberson
        www.rockinbsleatherworks.info/

        6th generation Texan

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 23, 2011

          50 ml per 20 liters of wash is what you want to discard. You should be able to tell by the smell.

          Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

          Almost everywhere that the process of distilling is discussed, the issue of how much liquid makes up the foreshots seems to settle on 50ml.

          Chuck the first 50ml away. (?)
          Is that 50ml out of a 25 ltr boil, or 50ml from a 10ltr boil?
          What if the batch boiling away is 50 ltrs. Do we still chuck away the only the first 50ml?

          I think there is a formula, and someone on this forum perhaps knows it. Once known on what volume the first 50ml is based the calculation would be simple for any size batch.

          cheers
          thursty2

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              Distillers-digest@yahoogroups.com
              Distillers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • avaroma
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 24, 2011

            Smell it.  i fit stinks trow it away

            Gr. Aad

            Almost everywhere that the process of distilling is discussed, the issue of how much liquid makes up the foreshots seems to settle on 50ml.

            Chuck the first 50ml away. (?)
            Is that 50ml out of a 25 ltr boil, or 50ml from a 10ltr boil?
            What if the batch boiling away is 50 ltrs. Do we still chuck away the only the first 50ml?

            I think there is a formula, and someone on this forum perhaps knows it. Once known on what volume the first 50ml is based the calculation would be simple for any size batch.

            cheers
            thursty2

            Do you have a slow PC? Try free scan!
          • Adam Fordham
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 24, 2011
              Start your flow rate real slow and take 50ml per 20 liters of wash. Smell kinda like old airplane model glue. It will be obvious you'll know. Now bear in mind sometimes you wont have as much methanol as other times but 50 per 20 you'll be fine. When in doubt take more. Be safe have fun

              Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

              Moderator Note: It's NOT methanol. If it has a smell, it is either acetone or ethyl acetate.
            • joe giffen
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 24, 2011
                I can't understand the debate, the stuff is so cheap I dump the first 200ml. from a 25ltr.run and have never had any bad tasting spirit.

                Regards
                Joe

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 24, 2011

                  To be honest I remove more myself. And then make aggressive cuts as well. Safety is a big concern in the US because of the reputation moonshine has thanks to our government. At one time they ran a successful campaign against untaxed distillate. Same government that said smoking a plant (weed) would turn a man into a homosexual lol.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 25, 2011
                    I must be really advanced at this stuff! All I do with my relux still is rely on the still head temperature 78.1 C and smell.
                    With a 20L still I may take up to 100mL, until I am sure it is right.

                    With a 20L pot still I take double that, but I dont throw it away, I then put in the reflux still.

                    regards Hari.
                  • Adam Fordham
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 25, 2011

                      I bow before the master. Have you heard any from jamesbeamson I probably spelled that all wrong. Be nice to know how he was doin. He helped this southern boy out time and time again.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 25, 2011
                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "harisaki2004" <ledaswan@...> wrote:

                        > I must be really advanced at this stuff! All I do with my relux still is rely on the still head temperature 78.1 C and smell.
                        > With a 20L still I may take up to 100mL, until I am sure it is right.
                        >
                        > With a 20L pot still I take double that, but I dont throw it away, I then put in the reflux still.
                        >
                        > regards Hari.

                        My digital thermometer reads in whole numbers only. It should probably be replaced. I boil 25 ltrs up through a reflux column. As a matter of course, I chuck 100ml. The next 100ml goes into the heads bottle for re-use in the next boil.

                        I'm beginning to think that a good thermometer, capable of reading to at least one decimal place, may be a good solution. I think it was on Tony Ackland's site where I read that all the "good" action occurs between 78.1 and 82.2?

                        Cheers
                        thursty2
                      • Derek Hamlet
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 25, 2011
                          At 01:46 AM 11/25/2011, you wrote:
                          >With a 20L pot still I take double that, but I dont throw it away, I
                          >then put in the reflux still.

                          I keep mine as a useful around the home weed killer for beasties that
                          start growing in cracks in the concrete sidewalk

                          Derek
                          I've traveled a long way
                          And some of the roads weren't paved