Re: Aged dunder fermentation

  • Alex Castillo
    Message 1 of 31 , Nov 1, 2011
      Hi Mav,

      Last time I did it, I grated around 1/4 pound and dumped it to the dunder (some 20 liters), waited some time until seeing the white cap on top (about one week here in the tropics) and then waited some more time (I think 3 more weeks, don´t remember exactly).

      I think is better this way since bacteria don´t tolerate a high alcohol concentrations and like acidic environments, both conditions offered by dunder. If adding directly to wash, wait until fermentation is over and begin with a SG of no more than 1.060; according to Arroyo that´s about right for the final ABV%. I´ve used sliced cheese too, but probably grated cheese makes more sense.

      Alternatively you could buy the (bacterial) culture, but you´ll get too much for a single experiment and probably pay more (around US$ 14)

      Keep us post with your results

      Good Luck

      Alex
    • Carlos alberto Sanchez