RE: [Distillers] Re: Aged dunder fermentation

  • Gavin Flett
    Message 1 of 31 , Oct 15, 2011
      Thanks Alex,

      The funny thing is, the very fist batch of Rum that I made was the best I've ever tasted. I tried to age it but ended up 'sampling' it until there was nothing left. Why is this funny? Well it's not, because I have no idea how to re-create the recipe, I am now on my 10th bath and still have not reproduced the same Rum. I did use bread yeast as well as Lavallin EC-1118, but I am not sure what else I did to make it sooo tasty.

      Thanks for the tips, I'll let you know how this one turns out

      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      From: castillo.alex2008@...
      Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 20:39:04 +0000
      Subject: [Distillers] Re: Aged dunder fermentation

      Gavin,
      Begin with dunder/water 50/50 (i.e. 10 liters water + 10 liters dunder) adding your molasses (i.e. 1 gallon), DAP (i.e. 1 Tbsp), citric acid (i.e. 1 Tbsp) and yeast (1/4 cup - 1 cup, hydrated or sprinkled on top, then mix).
      I suggest you to begin with bread yeast, since is inexpensive.  With time you may even go all dunder.
      Oxygenate/aireate well (i.e. aquarium pump 1-2 hours).
      Alternatively (instead of using dunder) would be interesting to try bacterial cultures (bretts, lactic, etc.) as secondary fermentations, or even dumping the yogurt after the primary fermentation to create the dunder efect "in situ", lol.  There´s plenty room for experimentation.  I like that!
      Please let us know how it went in your Jamaican craft, Gavin-rum!, lol
      Have fun...and keep it safe!
      Alex

    • Carlos alberto Sanchez
      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 22, 2013