white precipitate ?

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2000
      Posted on behalf of Rob L ...

      I have processed two batches (2 x 25l of wash) and have been pleased with
      the results. I have used the Top Shelf Classic and Still Spirits flavours
      with success although the second batch which I filtered at a slower rate had
      less of the sweet alcohol smell to it. (I guess everyone is keen to get
      their first batch through the charcoal!!)
      I have also produced a very nice gin based on the recipe in Moonshine
      supplies news letter using some Still Spirits essence and juniper berries
      and a drop of juniper oil. Not sure why, I'm not a great gin fan!!
      I am keen to get a better tasting bourbon though. I'm trying a bit more
      essence as I think the recommended useage rates may be a bit on the low
      side. I find some of the essences ie. rum are a little sweet and would like
      to know what can be added to give a drier taste.

      One small problem I have just noticed is that 5l of 48% spirit I have stored
      has thrown down a white precipitate which looks like small bits of cotton
      wool sitting in the bottom of the jar, it does not appear to have affected
      the smell or taste so I have continued to use it. Do you know what this
      could be?