Re: [Distillers] Setting Malt Whiskey pH without Sour Mash

  • Fredrick Lee
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2011
      There's a powder from Five star called 5.2 buffer.  I think it's not worth it.   Regular barely with appropriate liquor volume and proper temperature resting should give you the proper Ph.  Also, backset can drop your ph lower than about 5.p which will interrupt enzyme activity, and reduce the disastastic power of the base malt.   I think bigtime distilleries use backset to reduce their effluent costs.

      On Sep 4, 2011, at 16:17, Adam Fordham <bluwater2828@...> wrote:

      Reading the book Making Pure Corn Whiskey ...Mr Smiley recommends 4.5 to 5.5 Ph for sour mash. I highly recommend buying this book and I'm not alone in respect to Ian Smiley.

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5, 2011
        Carl,

        I'm going to throw in with Gavin on this one. I don't use backset with barley mashes for 2 reasons. First, when I use backset in a corn mash, part of my reason is to get that sourmash flavor note, something I don't want in my scotch. Second, from brewing a lot of allgrain barley beers, I've come to have faith in barley's natural ability to do everything correctly.

        In short, barley seems to be smarter than I am, and produces perfect conversions and fermentations without much of my help. I wouldn't be at all surprised of the whisky-master Scots don't adjust mash pH at all, either.

        Just an opinion, but I loves me my barley beers and whiskys.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Greene" <thegreatcarlini@...> wrote:

        > I am doing an all grain malt whisky (Scotch) as my next project. How do the single malt experts in Scotland set the pH for the batches prior to fermentation?
        >
        > The bourbon boys in USA add backset to the grain mash mix for consistency and pH. For scotch, are acids added prior to fermentation, or are the yeasts launched without artificial enhancement?

      • Carl Greene
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5, 2011
          Thanks folksÂ…. I now see way the ancients and the old time experts started with barley as the grain of choice for fermentation. It works!