Re: MUM's the Word

  • bluejakeditto
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 17, 2011
      Eric,
      Are you saying that you "boiled up" the active dry yeast too? Wouldn't that kill the yeast?

      blue

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "eyendall" <eric_yendall@...> wrote:

      > I dusted-off the MUM recipe in the files last week and did two 25L ferments which all went well. I have a few questions. I know that the original MUM recipe engendered a lot of discussion and experimentation as it got tweaked and improved. Do we now have the last word on the recipe.
      >
      > My two washes were each 25L plus 5kg white sugar and 60g of active dry yeast for each.
      >
      > Following the MUM approach, in one gallon of water I boiled up:
      > 1/4 cup of active dry yeast
      > 5 tsp Miracle Grow fertiliser
      > 1 tsp marmite
      > 1 Tbs epsom salts
      > 2 powdered multivitamins
      >
      > Does this mixture eliminate the need for any yeast nutrient i.e. DAP?
      >
      > In the MUM discussions. some have advocated straining this mixture. Is this necessary?
      > Does it even need to be boiled?
      > Some have included tomato paste. Is this a substitute for the active dry yeast (or trub)? Is it necessary. My washes fermented-out in 4 days to SG 1.000 without it.
      > Is 1 Tsp of epsom salts too much?
      > The MUM recipe on file calls for the epsom salts to be added to the wash directly a teaspoonful at a time (total 3tsp) over the fermentation period? Any reason not to add it all at the beginning? I am always reluctant to add anything to a wash if it is fermenting well.
      >
      > Your thoughts and advice would be most welcome.

    • Eric Yendall
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 17, 2011
        Thanks for your response, Zymurgy Bob.

        I got good results with my two washes  so I must have been doing something right, but I am always open to tweaking recipes to get the most with the least. If I can cut out an ingredient or a step I am happy.

        I would like to dispense with the marmite (I prefer it on my toast:x lovestruck and it is expensive and hard to find in Canada) but I am not clear as to whether it is substituted for by the trub or by the tomato paste, or neither.

        I'll have to read up again on the JEM recipe.

        Thanks for the link but it does not appear to be working.

        Cheers

        Eric

      • Eric Yendall
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 18, 2011
          blue

          I use two lots of yeast. One, 1/4 cup is boiled with the nutrient mixture; the other, 60g, is pitched in the wash,

          Eric
        • bluejakeditto
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 18, 2011
            Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks.

          • bob@4agoodauction.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 19, 2011

              I use some store bought brewers yeast for body builders to pitch in the hot wort so it will all rupture.

              Bob

              This email was scanned by VIPRE version 4.0.4194 when it was sent, using definitions version 10202