Blackberry Brandy!

  • danev2
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2011
      Tis the season!
      for picking sweet juicy blackberries. mind the thorns, the bees, especially the bumble variety. Ignore the two upset bluejays.
      Time to collect quickly while there still just perfectly ripening.
      I've access to about 200+ yards of huge blacberry vines.
      I'm up here in the Pac. Northwest Portland area
      I'm aiming for 10 gallons of berries, mostly for brandy, a couple pies, and a couple quarts jam

      The recipe I've got for brandy. from an old timer type, a long time ago.(20+ years.)
      5 gal or so berries, fresh picked.
      Hot water.
      5lb sugar.
      Yeast.
      Pour hot water into berries, mash up well, under heat, don't boil
      mix in 5 lb sugar.
      make sure dissolved.
      Cool, add yeast, lots.

      ferment through and rack after couple weeks.
      distill in pot still in 3 small batches.
      collect heads, middle, and tails all separate.
      Pour heads and tails in 2nd batch.
      collect heads middle and tails.
      Repeat for third batch

      Age middles with a little bit of oak for 6 months or so.

      cut to 80 proof.

      Think that'll work?
      I wonder how much it will make.
      The recipe I got from an old time, moonshiner I met when
      I was just starting out and learning the craft.
      I'll have to post up the whole story and that, but later.

      In 20+ years of this I've never made a single fruit type brandy, done apples, pears, peaches, etc, all mixed together.
      So I'm excited to give this a go. Using 10 gallons of berries.
      the berry vines are so big here that I can not collect them faster than they are ripening every day.

      cheers!!
      DV