AW: [Distillers] Time it takes to distill

  • thomas sandegard
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 18 4:01 AM
      I dont know how you run your runs but taking out 95+ % during the whole run might not be economical timewise (because of the slow pace at the end, at some point I would cut the reflux and collect the last liter or two for a re-run which I would add to the next mash.But I dont think you would win to much time there (that is if you dont do this already of course)

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 18 10:56 PM
        Sorry Riku,

        I'm interrested in the ARC-forum, but when i want to register is see pics of unions, coins, scrubbers etc and some swedis/norwegian or denish tekst. I cannot read this, can you explain how to register?

        Henk

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 19 5:33 AM
          You need to click the icon that is almost the same as one that is shown separately. For the text try google toolbar to translate it ( toolbar.google.com )

          Slainte, Riku

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 19 6:21 AM
            Well, I leave the last 100ml or so in the boiler as that is mostly tails at that point and squeezing ethanol out of that would take an additional hour. Then there's about 200ml heads and some 100ml left in the column packing (mostly tails). With such small amounts there's not much point in collecting them as tails will quickly become really strong when you recycle them (as I learned when using continuous still for sour mashes). Also, since I use E-ARC for adjusting RR - going below 95.6% would let some tails to bleed through.

            Slainte, Riku

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 22 1:51 AM
              I that case i would even call it late or heavy tails, of course you dont want to recycle them

              What if you would stop the "main" run 30 min earlier and run for tails (a little lighter than yours) for 15-20 min without reflux and add this to next run..This woudl save 10-15 minutes but would maybe cost you 5-10 min in next run, which must be calculated for...

              At time being I am without still so I cant test myself.. But I do think you could cut 5-10 minutes of at least, at least as experiment (it problable not worth the hassel).

              Thomas