Time it takes to distill

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 17, 2011
      I've finally hit a point where I can process a 6kg sugar mash in to 3.2 liters of neutral 95.6% stuff in just 4 hours and 15 minutes (details in the ARC forum). Now what do you think I should set as my next goal? This has been a really nice hobby but it seems that there's not that much to do in speeding up things anymore. Perhaps finalize the continuous whisky distillation experiments?

      Slainte, Riku
    • Grease
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 17, 2011

        > I've finally hit a point where I can process a 6kg sugar mash in to 3.2 liters of neutral 95.6% stuff in just 4 hours and 15 minutes (details in the ARC forum). Now what do you think I should set as my next goal? This has been a really nice hobby but it seems that there's not that much to do in speeding up things anymore. Perhaps finalize the continuous whisky distillation experiments?
        >
        > Slainte, Riku

        Sorry NOOB here, what is the ARC forum? The best I have been able to do is make 3 5ths of 140 proof out of a 12.5 gallon molasses mash, in about 12 hours, I am looking to drastically improve on that, I have a stainless keg still, with a stainless thumper. Sorry for my ignorance.
      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 18, 2011
          ARC forum is a closed forum for the readers of "Designing and building automatic stills (second ed.)" and can be found at http://arc.forum24.se/arc.html

          Slainte, Riku

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Grease" <Greasekind14@...> wrote:

          > Sorry NOOB here, what is the ARC forum?
        • thomas sandegard
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 18, 2011
            I dont know how you run your runs but taking out 95+ % during the whole run might not be economical timewise (because of the slow pace at the end, at some point I would cut the reflux and collect the last liter or two for a re-run which I would add to the next mash.But I dont think you would win to much time there (that is if you dont do this already of course)

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 18, 2011
              Distillation is energy intensive - reducing energy would be economically useful.
              wal

              > I've finally hit a point where I can process a 6kg sugar mash in to 3.2 liters of neutral 95.6% stuff in just 4 hours and 15 minutes (details in the ARC forum). Now what do you think I should set as my next goal? This has been a really nice hobby but it seems that there's not that much to do in speeding up things anymore. Perhaps finalize the continuous whisky distillation experiments?
              >
              > Slainte, Riku

            • abbababbaccc
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 18, 2011
                That's true, but even better way would be to use the energy efficiently. In winter aircooling to warm up you house. Alternatively we could direct the used cooling water to fill your domestic water boiler or something else that requires warm water.

                The problem with air cooling is that when you need to handle much power you need to make a huge condenser and that soon becomes unpractical.

                Of course one direction could be a smaller still that uses less energy while still providing decent speed. But then we'll start having problems like yeast residues burning in the mash etc. Actually since I've cut the distillation time to roughly one third I have all ready tripled the energy efficiency :)

                Slainte, Riku

                > Distillation is energy intensive - reducing energy would be economically useful.
                > wal

              • Henk Stuurman
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 18, 2011
                  Sorry Riku,

                  I'm interrested in the ARC-forum, but when i want to register is see pics of unions, coins, scrubbers etc and some swedis/norwegian or denish tekst. I cannot read this, can you explain how to register?

                  Henk

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 19, 2011
                    You need to click the icon that is almost the same as one that is shown separately. For the text try google toolbar to translate it ( toolbar.google.com )

                    Slainte, Riku

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 19, 2011
                      Well, I leave the last 100ml or so in the boiler as that is mostly tails at that point and squeezing ethanol out of that would take an additional hour. Then there's about 200ml heads and some 100ml left in the column packing (mostly tails). With such small amounts there's not much point in collecting them as tails will quickly become really strong when you recycle them (as I learned when using continuous still for sour mashes). Also, since I use E-ARC for adjusting RR - going below 95.6% would let some tails to bleed through.

                      Slainte, Riku

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 22, 2011
                        I that case i would even call it late or heavy tails, of course you dont want to recycle them

                        What if you would stop the "main" run 30 min earlier and run for tails (a little lighter than yours) for 15-20 min without reflux and add this to next run..This woudl save 10-15 minutes but would maybe cost you 5-10 min in next run, which must be calculated for...

                        At time being I am without still so I cant test myself.. But I do think you could cut 5-10 minutes of at least, at least as experiment (it problable not worth the hassel).

                        Thomas