Observation and question

  • edbar44
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 17, 2011
      As previously mentioned in this forum, I've had extreme difficulty getting to the magic 96% but always manage to pull between 94 and 95 without any difficulty. I had one run about six months ago that was all 96% and haven't been able to duplicate. I did a run this past week and the weather was quite warm and my distillate was coming off at 97+ but temperature corrected to 94%. Assuming I was probably losing too much to the angels, I immersed the collection vessel in a container which was holding ice. My takeoff rate was quite high, perhaps 2 liters per hour. Anyway, after taking off 500 ml and checking the ABV, it was a solid 95% (after temperature correction) and perhaps a little higher.

      The question is, why the difference, condenser, atmospheric conditions, evaporation?

      One more comment. I cannot differentiate between distillate that has been stripped and running a reflux run on just wash. There is absolutely no difference in taste, comments?
    • wal
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 7, 2011
        Hi Distillers!

        Your friend, wal, thought that you would be interested in Using Iodophor as sanitising agent from Distillique.

        To view the article click on the link below or copy and paste the link into your web browser:

        http://distillique.co.za/catalog/article_info.php?articles_id=83

        Regards,

        Distillique
        http://distillique.co.za/catalog/