Spirit Definition

  • craft88888888
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 15, 2011
      Hypothetical question - according to the rules, what is the following product allowed to be labeled as, if it were to be sold commercially? The product is a double distilled, double carbon filtered spirit made from a sugar wash then flavored by oak chips. Thanks to all that reply.
    • harisaki2004
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 16, 2011
        More info please, ie alc content and colour....

        If it is watered back to 40% and is clear I would call it oak chip vodka. Can you taste the oak? regards Hari.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 16, 2011
          Sorry, should've added some more info for this hypothetical product. It is 80 proof, brown in color & tastes like whiskey. I have heard that you can't commercially call anything whiskey if it is made from sugar. That's the real question here. Thanks again
        • Adam Fordham
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 17, 2011

            I've put sugar nuetral on oak before. Try adding a tiny amount of honey or good maple syrup. Not bad. Not the same taste as grain but I liked it. I like my all grain much better though.

            Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

            Sorry, should've added some more info for this hypothetical product.  It is 80 proof, brown in color & tastes like whiskey.  I have heard that you can't commercially call anything whiskey if it is made from sugar.  That's the real question here.  Thanks again

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)