Re: Bourbon & Cola

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 8, 2011
      Coca Cola did not have a kola nut extract - the caffeine content was industrial caffeine citrate. There was a coca leaf extract and thus coca, but the cola part was borrowed for alliteration. The Coca-Cola recipe relies on lime juice, citrus essential oils, nutmeg oil, coriander oil and cinnamon oil. The mentioned Cola Syrup recipe includes lavender and ginger.

      wal

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 8, 2011
        Coca-Cola was initially a soda fountain medicinal drink. Many of the soda flavors are similar to alcoholic liqueurs/cordials -

        http://tinyurl.com/3jjd4up

        wal

      • bob@4agoodauction.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 8, 2011

          Where is the coca leaf?   You could just use drops of the essences in a good 190 proof and put sugar and acid if you want it.

          Bob c

          This email was scanned by VIPRE version 4.0.4194 when it was sent, using definitions version 9806
        • Ed Barcik
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 9, 2011

            What's the citric acid used for anyway?

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 10, 2011
              Balances the sweetness. Sweet,sour, bitter are basic beverage flavors.
              wal

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 10, 2011
                This is a cola syrup not an imitation of Coca-Cola. Pepsi-Cola does not have coca leaf extract, but did have pepsin enzyme as a digestive aid. You can add caffeine if you want, but its intention is a mixer for a spirit base.
                wal

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 10, 2011
                  If you want background to coke see -

                  http://sparror.cubecinema.com/cube/cola/chemistry/cola2.htm