RE: [Distillers] Bourbon & Cola

  • Brendan Keith
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 7 8:35 PM
      Message
      I'll bet making a good bourbon is easier.  And where is the kola nut extract?

      --

      Brendan Keith

      bkeith@...

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 8 1:41 AM
        Coca Cola did not have a kola nut extract - the caffeine content was industrial caffeine citrate. There was a coca leaf extract and thus coca, but the cola part was borrowed for alliteration. The Coca-Cola recipe relies on lime juice, citrus essential oils, nutmeg oil, coriander oil and cinnamon oil. The mentioned Cola Syrup recipe includes lavender and ginger.

        wal

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 8 2:36 AM
          Coca-Cola was initially a soda fountain medicinal drink. Many of the soda flavors are similar to alcoholic liqueurs/cordials -

          http://tinyurl.com/3jjd4up

        • bob@4agoodauction.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 8 11:58 AM

            Where is the coca leaf?   You could just use drops of the essences in a good 190 proof and put sugar and acid if you want it.

            Bob c

            This email was scanned by VIPRE version 4.0.4194 when it was sent, using definitions version 9806
          • Ed Barcik
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 9 4:22 AM

              What's the citric acid used for anyway?

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 10 2:13 AM
                Balances the sweetness. Sweet,sour, bitter are basic beverage flavors.
                wal

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 10 2:20 AM
                  This is a cola syrup not an imitation of Coca-Cola. Pepsi-Cola does not have coca leaf extract, but did have pepsin enzyme as a digestive aid. You can add caffeine if you want, but its intention is a mixer for a spirit base.
                  wal

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 10 3:42 AM
                    If you want background to coke see -

                    http://sparror.cubecinema.com/cube/cola/chemistry/cola2.htm