Bourbon & Cola

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 7, 2011
      Cola is a popular mixer for spirits. Why not make you own?

      Cola syrup recipe -

      http://tinyurl.com/3znde82

      wal
    • Brendan Keith
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 7, 2011
        Message
        I'll bet making a good bourbon is easier.  And where is the kola nut extract?

        --

        Brendan Keith

        bkeith@...

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 8, 2011
          Coca Cola did not have a kola nut extract - the caffeine content was industrial caffeine citrate. There was a coca leaf extract and thus coca, but the cola part was borrowed for alliteration. The Coca-Cola recipe relies on lime juice, citrus essential oils, nutmeg oil, coriander oil and cinnamon oil. The mentioned Cola Syrup recipe includes lavender and ginger.

          wal

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 8, 2011
            Coca-Cola was initially a soda fountain medicinal drink. Many of the soda flavors are similar to alcoholic liqueurs/cordials -

            http://tinyurl.com/3jjd4up

          • bob@4agoodauction.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 8, 2011

              Where is the coca leaf?   You could just use drops of the essences in a good 190 proof and put sugar and acid if you want it.

              Bob c

              This email was scanned by VIPRE version 4.0.4194 when it was sent, using definitions version 9806
            • Ed Barcik
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 9, 2011

                What's the citric acid used for anyway?

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 10, 2011
                  Balances the sweetness. Sweet,sour, bitter are basic beverage flavors.
                  wal

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 10, 2011
                    This is a cola syrup not an imitation of Coca-Cola. Pepsi-Cola does not have coca leaf extract, but did have pepsin enzyme as a digestive aid. You can add caffeine if you want, but its intention is a mixer for a spirit base.
                    wal

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 10, 2011
                      If you want background to coke see -

                      http://sparror.cubecinema.com/cube/cola/chemistry/cola2.htm