Mash Efficiency Calculations

  • Dick Grindley
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 1999
      Hi from Edinburgh,

      Well, here's my first contribution to the group. In response to
      Brian @... recently asking about a method of calculating mash
      extraction efficiency using metric quantities I tidied up the Excel
      spreadsheet I've been using to do this (& quite a bit more) & contacted
      him to see if it was of interest. Brian suggested that others in the
      newsgroup might also be interested - so it's attached to this e-mail,
      hope Des doesn't mind but I've not seen anything about not attaching
      things to e-mails for this ng.

      [ Section: 1/1 File: Brewcalc.exe UUencoded by: Turnpike Integrated Version 4.02 S ]

      begin 644 Brewcalc.exe
      M35J:`1\``0`&`(D,__\``"!A`````?#_4@```!014$M,251%($-O<'(N(#$Y
      M.3`M.3(@4$M705)%($EN8RX@06QL(%)I9VAT<R!297-E<G9E9`<`````````
      M````````N$D0NIH]!0``.P8"`'(;M`FZ&`'-(<T@3F]T(&5N;W5G:"!M96UO
      M<GDDB_R![TH#5U=2N:T`OIP"B_[]270'K9(#PJOK]H=?T_^$N2%'G0UD[H^W
      M--G)AO[^#`*A/JX0$(SR=@`5RKP?-X;%`3*LC51S62)A[I_\X)/Q65D:J*@%
      M9CX>'QYYUJ63I>.Q?!;YT_1?Q,_TH4.'(H?$C_W@`'Y<+^1U?V+=;O]T5?M@
      MMK\WEQG1:/*S!/M(MF<P/Y3?/5S5]E!/)B=WE'[T\SY^_@502P$"%``4````
      M"`#+B&(G@X8QYP),````_@``#````````````"````":/0``0E)%5T-!3$,N
      96$Q34$L%!@`````!``$`.@```,:)````````
      `
      end

      sum -r/size 18345/48737 section (from "begin" to "end")
      sum -r/size 26464/35350 entire input file

      Beercalc.exe is a self extracting file that will produce an
      Excel 5 spread sheet beercalc.xls, there's a step-by-step guide in the
      Notes Worksheet. It's designed primarily as a full grain mash beer
      design tool & brewing record but I see no reason why it shouldn't be
      used for distillation - you just don't need to bother about the hops &
      there are a reasonable selection of sugars available. Hope others find
      it of use & I'll do my best to answer any further queries - but please
      don't ask me for an Imperial quantity version !!

      I'm a keen home brewer & whisky drinker but unfortunately,
      living under a hostile home distillation regime, producing my own
      spirits & distillers@onelist must remain of theoretical interest only
      ...... but there again Excise Duty is a nasty English tax & we do now
      have our own devolved Parliament ....... hmmmmm !!! No, better stick to
      home brewing & coppersmith'ing.

      All the best fra Auld Reekie
      --
      Dick
      Speak well o' pipers, remember yir faither wis a fiddler.

      From topkiwi:
      Sorry Dick, while I have no objections to you posting this
      type of info through the list, on this occassion it did not work.
      I have edited out a lot as you will notice. Maybe someone can
      suggest a means of doing this better. I for one would be interested
      in the program.
      I am very interested in other members comments on the matter, dont be shy.

      Des