Re: [Distillers] My Still/lyn/mel

  • MRX nighthawk_f9
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29, 2000
      Hi Lyn.... it will do the job, but be very, very careful.
      My buddy and I built mine about 15 yrs ago from SS pipe and fired it with propane. On the first run there was a small leak around the thermometer at the top of the reflux column, which we discovered when he climbed the ladder and used his bic to read the thermometer. We suddenly has this very large blo-torch painting a black spot on the ceiling of the garage.
      We were prepared with a fire extinguisher so there was no harm done, but if we hadn't discovered it when we did, we would have launched it (and us) into outer space, as we were running 5 Imp. Gal. of high octane in a small area.
      We eventually switched over to an electrical element salvaged from an old stove-top range, and until we retired it to his hay loft some years ago, we felt much more secure for having done so.
      Best advice for using an open flame is run it out doors.

      Good Luck,
      Don
      --

      On Wed, 29 Mar 2000 15:30:50 lyn wrote:
      >From: lyn <lynsbit@...>
      >
      >Hi again people
      >Another question if i may
      >How safe is the use of gas for heating
      >Is there the possibillity of becoming an ex dill rather quickly?
      >Ta
      >Lyn

      MailCity. Secure Email Anywhere, Anytime!
      http://www.mailcity.lycos.com