sediment

  • David Eastham
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 24, 2011
      This is a first I've made some 40% vodka from my 93% spirit. I seem to have a slight sediment developing. I used boiled water which is what I always use, it is very soft in my area. My only thoughts are could it be bacterial contamination, though bacteria in 40% alcohol seems unlikely. My 93% spirit is clear but there was a slight haze to my first heads bottle. Its the first time I've used the still after I did a hot water/citric acid/salt rinse to clear the still of black discolouration. I thought I'd rinsed it well but maybe not? Any body got any ideas?
      Cheers
      Dave Eastham
    • Thursty2
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2011
        Hi David,
        I can't begin to guess at the source of the sediment, but I feel sure that filtering through activated carbon will clear it.

        cheers
        thursty2