Advice for next still project please

  • landrover_ffr
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 25, 2011
      Hi All,
      I stumbled upon a nice looking piece of S/Steel the other week and it cried out for be to buy it. It is an insulated stainless steel hopper once used in a dairy factory (image upload to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/photos/album/2056892081/pic/list awaiting Mod approval)

      Now I've finish my two other projects (building a house and making a baby) I'm keen to get back into stilling. After bring this home I have shelved my continuous stripper still plans in favor of big old pot still.

      The hopper is food grade s/steel, insulated and stands a bit over 8 foot tall. It's about 2 foot in diameter and is on legs. A quick measure tells me it has a total volume of about 500 litres.

      My basic plan so far;
      - Stripper/ whisky still
      - Electric element heating (1x 2kW + 1x3kW)
      - Shell and tube condenser
      - Will easy hold 1x175 litre ferment (2x at a push)

      Questions that are bugging me;
      - Could/should I steam fire it? Direct or via a coil?
      - Should I add a thumper or bubble plate/s to it?
      - Should I just turn it into a mash/lauter tun?
      - Should I add a cooling coil at the top (i.e. use a little CM)

      What would you folks do?

      Regards,
      Sid.
    • Todd Stewart
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 26, 2011
        I know this is a randon topic... but I'm just making sure I'm not crazy.

        I'm almost finished building my Sanke-Keg Converted Still... and am
        about to name it...  My original name was "Thunder Road (You ain't a
        beauty, but hey your alright) "

        but after the passing of Clarence Clemmons (RIP).. I thought of just
        naming it "Big Man"...

        But a friend recommended
         "Rosalita"
        (Rosalita jump a little lighter
        Senorita come sit by my fire
        I just want to be your lover ain't no liar
        Rosalita you're my stone desire)
        and yes, they're all Springsteen references.
        I'm thinking I'll stick with Rosalita.

        Anyone else named their Still and what was your reason??

      • virgil hoskins
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 26, 2011
          I call mine Baby~,,

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 26, 2011
            I had enough difficulty naming my second child ;)
          • Todd Stewart
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 26, 2011
              Haha... I have 3 dogs... all the good names were used on them..

              Now I have be creative...  Good thing I had dogs and a Still before kids.

              I had enough difficulty naming my second child ;)
            • Steve Lange
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 26, 2011
                haven't named mine yet....but Ethyl might be one to think about

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 28, 2011
                  It's outta my league Sid. I LIKE distilling so I use a 20 litre reflux rig. Makes me 5 bottles of 43% (finished & cut) each run, 3-4 hrs. I can't drink it any faster, even with help from the rellies. :)
                  So that'll do me.

                  =========================

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "landrover_ffr" <sid.rains@...> wrote:

                  > Hi All,
                  > I stumbled upon a nice looking piece of S/Steel the other week and it cried out for be to buy it. It is an insulated stainless steel hopper once used in a dairy factory (image upload to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/photos/album/2056892081/pic/list awaiting Mod approval)
                  >
                  > Now I've finish my two other projects (building a house and making a baby) I'm keen to get back into stilling. After bring this home I have shelved my continuous stripper still plans in favor of big old pot still.
                  >
                  > The hopper is food grade s/steel, insulated and stands a bit over 8 foot tall. It's about 2 foot in diameter and is on legs. A quick measure tells me it has a total volume of about 500 litres.
                  >
                  > My basic plan so far;
                  > - Stripper/ whisky still
                  > - Electric element heating (1x 2kW + 1x3kW)
                  > - Shell and tube condenser
                  > - Will easy hold 1x175 litre ferment (2x at a push)
                  >
                  > Questions that are bugging me;
                  > - Could/should I steam fire it? Direct or via a coil?
                  > - Should I add a thumper or bubble plate/s to it?
                  > - Should I just turn it into a mash/lauter tun?
                  > - Should I add a cooling coil at the top (i.e. use a little CM)
                  >
                  > What would you folks do?
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Sid.

                • landrover_ffr
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 28, 2011
                    I here you there Harry!
                    This is a "moment of madness" type situation because I found it sitting in the scrap bin at work. I was originally thinking it would make a good mash/lauter tun. Then a friend made the fatal mistake of saying "Wow, is that your next still project?". Now that I have two young kids I don't get as much time as I would like to crank up the still. I'm actual dry as the moment which might not be helping ;)

                    > It's outta my league Sid. I LIKE distilling so I use a 20 litre reflux rig. Makes me 5 bottles of 43% (finished & cut) each run, 3-4 hrs. I can't drink it any faster, even with help from the rellies. :)
                    > So that'll do me.
                    >
                    > Slainte!
                    > regards Harry
                  • Mike Thompson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 28, 2011
                      I have several names for mine ... Some are not repeatable. The most
                      common ones are (same still ... just different moods for the operator)
                      ..

                      Ole Fireball
                      Grouchy
                      Blue Torch
                      Fuelie

                      And when certain officials are close by

                      Water main

                      Also, thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts and experienced
                      here ... It has helped me along this path and learning about
                      distillation .

                      Mike

                      --
                      Sent from my mobile device
                    • Thursty2
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 1, 2011
                        You got 3 phase Sid, or are you just going to ensure your building and contents insurance is up to date?
                        ;^)

                        Thursty2