Cornmeal vs Cornstarch

  • george_7163
    Message 1 of 8 , May 20, 2011
      What would be better cornmeal or cornstarch? Starch is what you want to convert to sugar so you should get a lot more alcohol per pound of corn product using Cornstarch. Does using cornstarch vs cornmeal effect the flavor of the alcohol?

      Thanks
      Message 2 of 8 , May 21, 2011
        Don't forget yeast needs more than starch or dextrose sugar to ferment well!
        wal

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "george_7163" <george_7163@...> wrote:

        > What would be better cornmeal or cornstarch? Starch is what you want to convert to sugar so you should get a lot more alcohol per pound of corn product using Cornstarch. Does using cornstarch vs cornmeal effect the flavor of the alcohol?
        >

        > Thanks

      • made_it_myself
        Message 3 of 8 , May 27, 2011
          Hi,
          The difference between cornmeal and cornstarch is that the cornstarch is only made from the endosperm of the grain, the outer husk and germ of the grain is discarded.
          It is the same as the difference between white bread flour and wholemeal bread flour.
          My guess is that the unfermentable parts will contribute flavour to
          the final product.
          If you are going for a neutral spiirit then it will of course be fine.
          Message 4 of 8 , May 31, 2011
            The endosperm contains starch, protein, oil. Corn starch is pure starch.
            wal

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "made_it_myself" <doctorlawrencebrown@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            > The difference between cornmeal and cornstarch is that the cornstarch is only made from the endosperm of the grain, the outer husk and germ of the grain is discarded.
            > It is the same as the difference between white bread flour and wholemeal bread flour.
            > My guess is that the unfermentable parts will contribute flavour to
            > the final product.
            > If you are going for a neutral spiirit then it will of course be fine.

          • Todd Stewart
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 3, 2011
              Sensitive Subject, I have to start with.

              I form this email COMPLETELY in "theory"...

              So, with that said..

              Within the U.S. many states have legalized, or at least de-criminalized the
              use of marijuana and its by-products for medicinal use.

              i.e. Butter for brownies/cookies, as well as farmers markets.
              Being that THC is soluble in FAT (butter) and Alcohol (ethanol)

              My question, simply as an Artisanal aspect... has anyone successfully
              created a "GreenRum"  ??     I would imagine it would be spiced to balance
              the flavor.. proof to weight ration must be a consideration..

              Again, I apologize for the crassness of the post, but with the world as it is...
              I have to ponder the possibilities.

              -xlc

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 3, 2011
                Cannabis sativa is not particularly aromatic as a infusion botanical - rather bitter on its own. Fresh leaves need to be heated to make the THC potent - 2 minutes in a microwave will work.
                wal

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 4, 2011
                  Dry leaves need 3 lots of 20 seconds in a microwave to activate the medicinal THC.
                  wal

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 8, 2011
                    See
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_foods