Re: [Distillers] Re: Horsefeed maize

  • Peggy Korth
    Message 1 of 14 , May 16, 2011
      Thanks for the drying info. Jack. I will look into alternatives for drying.
      -

      Peggy,

      I have not had a problem feeding my spent grains to my farm animals. My chickens especially love the spent corn. I mix it with their meal. Unlike Joe, I have not had a problem with the birds or other animals feeling the effects of residual alcohol. But, again, I think I may be in the minority in that I press my mash in my cider press and end up with a semi-dry cake.

      Around here, large chicken operations dry their manure prior to selling it to processing plants for fertilizer or before spreading it on nearby fields. The driers are not cheap to install or operate and would not be cost effective for small amounts of spent grains. But, if you have a significant amount due to the processing you do for fuel alcohol, it could be worth it if you can then sell the spent grains for feed. Or, if you have enough to make it worth it, perhaps, a farmer near you might operate a drier that he would let you use with or even better that he would use himself to dry your grains before feeding to his own stock.

      Jack