Re: Copper

  • bobmitchum900
    Message 1 of 8 , May 15, 2011
      Firstly - everyone should know that you NEVER use water from a hot water system for drinking! (Have you ever seen inside a hot water system? it is a very nasty environment!).
      Secondly - the copper in a hot water system is usually not pure copper, mostly 'bronze copper' and other ingredients, hence that may be where the impurities 'leaching' comes from (And the water service pipes in houses etc are copper, which doesn't pose a problem).
      The copper packing that can be purchased from Amphora is a pure copper, so I'm pretty comfortable in trying that product.
      As for headaches, I would be looking at things like filtering, tails etc.
      As for the copper components, I heard that the copper acts like a 'catalytic converter' and can reduce/eliminate sulphides???
      STILL open for more feedback re this issue.
      Bob

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "moalboalmail" <starner@...> wrote:

      > Here in Norway, mothers are strongly advised not to use water from the hot water tap when they prepare food for babies.
      >
      > Copper salts leach out into the water and could poison the babies. I think "salts" is the word they use.
      >
      > Does anyone know if this is what gives you a headache and should therefore copper not be used?
      >
      > Lönnbrännar Lasse

    • Peggy Korth
      Message 2 of 8 , May 16, 2011
        We use an instant hot water system in one house and so I assume it is a better quality--no stored water to build residue and microbes. Also, in the summer residence the hot water is drained and left empty for over half the year. Therefore, I assume that we clear out the system pretty well--at least for a while. Any comments on instant hot water system contaminants?

        Thanks,
        Peggy

        Message 3 of 8 , May 17, 2011
          At 60degrees C there are no bugs in either system. Most storage systems these days are glass lined and not copper.
          wal

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Peggy Korth <rpk@...> wrote:

          > We use an instant hot water system in one house and so I assume it is a better quality--no stored water to build residue and microbes. Also, in the summer residence the hot water is drained and left empty for over half the year. Therefore, I assume that we clear out the system pretty well--at least for a while. Any comments on instant hot water system contaminants?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Peggy

        • moalboalmail
          Message 4 of 8 , May 17, 2011
            Sorry Peggy!!

            The question was actually not about hot drinking water but concern about using copper stills or copper parts in distilling.

            Copper sills have been used for a long time but that does not mean that they leach out copper into the product. Whiskey is notorious for giving you a hangover. Vodka made in stainless stills, less so.

            Copper is now being phased out as antifouling for boats as it is poisonous for marine life.

            OK, does anyone know if copper should be avoided when distilling?

            Lönnbrännar Lasse

            xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

            Message 5 of 8 , May 17, 2011
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "moalboalmail" <starner@...> wrote:

              > Sorry Peggy!!
              >
              > The question was actually not about hot drinking water but concern about using copper stills or copper parts in distilling.
              >
              > Copper sills have been used for a long time but that does not mean that they leach out copper into the product. Whiskey is notorious for giving you a hangover. Vodka made in stainless stills, less so.
              >
              > Copper is now being phased out as antifouling for boats as it is poisonous for marine life.
              >
              > OK, does anyone know if copper should be avoided when distilling?
              >
              > Lönnbrännar Lasse

              Read the section on copper here...
              http://homedistiller.org/materials.htm

              ...or read my paper on metals in distilling here...