Reply to docnector's photo comments

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 1 , May 12, 2011
      Docnector,

      In reply to your "Now please give some details on use & pics to the fact" on the drawing/bending guide for the tiny coffeepot still: This is from my book "Making Fine Spirits" that is currently at the printers for pretty soon release.

      This is meant to be a newbies first potstill, and can be made in a day with zero soldering, and for perhaps <$30. It is a simplification of the coffeepot-based gin-flavoring still on Tony Ackland's site (as which it still works admirably), and is mounted in a large cork that fits whatever coffeepot you were able to find in a thrift/junk shop. The gray circles are just bending forms; in my case hunks of tree limbs, specifically madrone.

      In the book, I have the reader fill the pot 3/4 full of cheap grocery store wine, and distill into measured (1 ounce) and numbered small glasses. This way in two days the reader can build a first still, make a real brandy run and make the cuts, and drink a pretty fair white brandy.

      Building on that experience. we go on to build larger stills and do more 'stillin.

      Obviously there's lot more to the story, but I may be straining the non-commercial aspect of this list, and besides, I'm leaving for a couple of weeks flacking the book.

      Thanks for asking.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller