Re: Lincoln County Process

    Message 1 of 5 , May 4, 2011
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Greene" <thegreatcarlini@...> wrote:

      > I am now trying the "Lincoln County Process" to make a Tennessee style whiskey. I've got 40 liters of 140 proof corn/rye/barley white dog, fresh from my Nixon-Stone and it is ready to drip through a column of Canadian sugar maple lump charcoal crushed and sieved to pea gravel consistency. I will place the filtered spirits into a new charred oak keg and let set for a few years.
      >
      > How long should the new make spirit remain in the charcoal filled column? My PVC pipe vessel will hold nearly 4 liters, the needle valve at the bottom will allow a drip rate keep the spirit in the vessel anywhere between 4 minutes thru 4 hours, and up to 4 days. My tour of Jack Daniels in Lynchburg went through the room with the charcoal vats, however, I did not ask how long the white dog remained in the tanks.

      According to this site, http://bourbonobserver.blogspot.com/2009/06/filtration-and-lincoln-county-process.html

      It takes a week to 10 days to complete its course through the charcoal.

      And this site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_County_Process

      describes the differences in the process between JD & George Dickel.

      Message 2 of 5 , May 4, 2011
        Interesting blog from Chuck Cowdery...

        http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2009/02/tennessee-whiskey-versus-bourbon.html

      • Timothy Smith
        Message 3 of 5 , May 5, 2011
          I've been told pvc will leave a plastic smell in the drink. It would surely be sad to take so much time and care to produce fine whisky only to smell or taste plastic in a few years. Could be that the charcoal or the barrel would suck it up.
          Something to ponder?

          Tim
        • jim horton
          Message 4 of 5 , May 5, 2011
            i would use stainless steel, glass, or a small wood barrel to place the charcoal in for filtering. personally i use a 2 gallon glass jar.