Lincoln County Process

  • Carl Greene
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2011
      I am now trying the "Lincoln County Process" to make a Tennessee style whiskey. I've got 40 liters of 140 proof corn/rye/barley white dog, fresh from my Nixon-Stone and it is ready to drip through a column of Canadian sugar maple lump charcoal crushed and sieved to pea gravel consistency. I will place the filtered spirits into a new charred oak keg and let set for a few years.

      How long should the new make spirit remain in the charcoal filled column? My PVC pipe vessel will hold nearly 4 liters, the needle valve at the bottom will allow a drip rate keep the spirit in the vessel anywhere between 4 minutes thru 4 hours, and up to 4 days. My tour of Jack Daniels in Lynchburg went through the room with the charcoal vats, however, I did not ask how long the white dog remained in the tanks.
      Message 2 of 5 , May 4, 2011
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Greene" <thegreatcarlini@...> wrote:

        > I am now trying the "Lincoln County Process" to make a Tennessee style whiskey. I've got 40 liters of 140 proof corn/rye/barley white dog, fresh from my Nixon-Stone and it is ready to drip through a column of Canadian sugar maple lump charcoal crushed and sieved to pea gravel consistency. I will place the filtered spirits into a new charred oak keg and let set for a few years.
        >
        > How long should the new make spirit remain in the charcoal filled column? My PVC pipe vessel will hold nearly 4 liters, the needle valve at the bottom will allow a drip rate keep the spirit in the vessel anywhere between 4 minutes thru 4 hours, and up to 4 days. My tour of Jack Daniels in Lynchburg went through the room with the charcoal vats, however, I did not ask how long the white dog remained in the tanks.

        According to this site, http://bourbonobserver.blogspot.com/2009/06/filtration-and-lincoln-county-process.html

        It takes a week to 10 days to complete its course through the charcoal.

        And this site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_County_Process

        describes the differences in the process between JD & George Dickel.

        Message 3 of 5 , May 4, 2011
          Interesting blog from Chuck Cowdery...

          http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2009/02/tennessee-whiskey-versus-bourbon.html

        • Timothy Smith
          Message 4 of 5 , May 5, 2011
            I've been told pvc will leave a plastic smell in the drink. It would surely be sad to take so much time and care to produce fine whisky only to smell or taste plastic in a few years. Could be that the charcoal or the barrel would suck it up.
            Something to ponder?

            Tim
          • jim horton
            Message 5 of 5 , May 5, 2011
              i would use stainless steel, glass, or a small wood barrel to place the charcoal in for filtering. personally i use a 2 gallon glass jar.