Re: Books on Pot still Brandy and Cognac.

  • harisaki2004
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 22, 2011
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

      > Hari,
      >
      > Please forgive me for having appeared to talk down to you. I'm never
      > really sure how much knowledge a given poster has, so I tend to
      > over-explain. The H202 solution looks like a solution strictly for
      > sulfites and sulfurous acid, whereas you have a sulfate problem from
      > sulfuric acid. Given that, I have no experience with sulfates, aside
      > from "hardening" water for dark beers with gypsum (calcium sulfate). I
      > can't think of any volatile sulfates that could pass through your still
      > and give unpleasant flavors, so I think I'll still stick with the ester
      > explanation, which can be solved with bicarb-dosing of low wines before
      > distillation for neutral (thereby losing your good brandy flavor).
      >
      > As far as lowering wine pH with a strong acid, to work with the natural
      > buffering I'd stick with the weak acids, like the tartaric you mention,
      > or commercial acid blend, a mixture of malic, tartaric, and citric
      > acids, although I'm not sure that I'd remember anymore how to calculate
      > the difference in pH buffering.
      >
      > I have a tiny vinyard, and I have one grape that gives me the opposite
      > problem from your high-sugar,low-acid grapes. Because I was told
      > cabernet franc grows and produces well in our marginal climate, we
      > planted a couple of rows of it. While the yield is typically great,
      > there is not time in the growing season to get the acid down to
      > reasonable levels. I've made a lot of educational mistakes with cab
      > franc wine pH, and finally decided, "Screw it! I'll just make brandy",
      > and it makes a pretty good brandy, although I'm not finished with it
      > yet.
      >
      > It sounds like you've already figured this out.
      >
      > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
      >
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "harisaki2004" <ledaswan@> wrote:

      Thanks ZB for your gentle and kind words.

      regarding the ions,sulphates etc, I will try again next year.
      The only advice I have for you with your cab franc is to not over crop it. In a marginal climate (unlike the swan valley W.A.)you need to maximise the photosynthesis per grape berry. Good luck, other wise continue with the brandy.

      Ps, with sulfites and sulfurous acid (ie SO2)do you find it better to treat with h2o2 before the wine is distilled or before the second distillation?
      regards

      Hari.