Verbena

  • gff_stwrt
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 19, 2011
      Hi, folks,
      My wife trimmed the Lemon Scented Verbena bush yesterday and luckily I was there.
      I stripped the leaves off the cuttings,and bruised them in a mortar, with a pestle.
      When they were lightly packed into a couple of (nearly two-litre) jars they were covered in 63% spirit (that's what I had on hand.)
      After a day the spirit is going green and smells great.
      I am not sure if I will use this spirit alone or mix some of it with something else; what do you think, Wal?
      Anybody?
      Anyway I'm glad I saved those leaves.
      Regards,
      The Baker
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 20, 2011
        Lemon verbena (Aloysia triphylla)

        Liquore all'Erba Luisa

        100 leaves
        1 lemon (quartered)
        1 litre neutral alcohol 40%abv
        Macerate for 2 weeks, strain and sweeten with 1-2 cups sugar/litre

        Also msg 31776, 31801

        wal

      • bob@4agoodauction.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 20, 2011

          Angelica root goes well with lemon verbena clean taste to the pallet--

          Bob c

          This email was scanned by VIPRE version 4.0.3904 when it was sent, using definitions version 9072
        • gff_stwrt
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 20, 2011
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, <bob@...> wrote:

            > Angelica root goes well with lemon verbena clean taste to the pallet--
            >
            > Bob c
            >
            >Thanks, Bob.
            I am thinking of ordering some spices on the internet soon (can only get small quantities of a limited range at high prices, locally) so will include some angelica.
            The Baker
          • gff_stwrt
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 20, 2011
              Hi, folks, and thanks, Wal,

              This is going to be interesting....
              I think I'll borrow my wife's measuring cup, say 250 ml, and pick a few more leaves, see how many leaves it takes to fill.
              Then I will measure the volume of a jar the same size as the ones I used, and figure how many leaves would be in each of the two jars.
              I might well have a couple of THOUSAND leaves macerating! The jars are a bit short of two litres. Each. Lightly packed.

              I might end up making some verbena liqueur and keep most of it as an essence.

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 21, 2011
                An Italian Liquore all'erba Luisa has these optional herbs to 70 lemon verbena leaves and zest of 1/2 lemon (1 litre/quart) -

                1 small rosemary branch
                3 cloves
                3 sage leaves
                3 mint leaves
                pinch cinnamon

              • bob@4agoodauction.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 22, 2011

                  < thinking of ordering some spices on the internet soon (can only get small quantities of a limited range at high prices, locally) so will include some angelica.
                  The Baker

                  I buy mine from the spice rack at any Mercado or Mexican grocery store.

                  Bob c

                  This email was scanned by VIPRE version 4.0.3904 when it was sent, using definitions version 9082
                • gff_stwrt
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 22, 2011
                    Thanks Bob.

                    Unfortunately for me there are few or none of these stores in Australia, where I live.
                    But the information will be helpful to others.

                    Regards,
                    The Baker

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, <bob@...> wrote:

                    > < thinking of ordering some spices on the internet soon (can only get small
                    > quantities of a limited range at high prices, locally) so will include some
                    > angelica.
                    > The Baker
                    >
                    > I buy mine from the spice rack at any Mercado or Mexican grocery store.
                    >

                    > Bob c
                    >

                    > This email was scanned by VIPRE version 4.0.3904 when it was sent, using
                    > definitions version 9082

                  • Stephen Dean
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 22, 2011

                      Hi Baker,

                      Google “mail order herbs and spices Australia” for a selection of Australian on-line Herb & Spice suppliers.

                      Regards,

                      SGD2945