Yeast instructions

  • Thursty2
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 26, 2011
      Thinking out aloud here, (but looking for answers too):

      The yeast pack states that:

      At an air temp range of 16 - 23C,
      8kgs (17#10zs) of sugar dissolved in
      water with a start temp of 30C,
      should provide an abv% of 18.3 over a
      7 - 12 day ferment.

      The puzzle for me is this:
      Is the manufacturer saying that the 30C start (yeast pitch) temp will dissipate in an orderly fashion down to the ambient temp at which fermentation will be "ideal"? What time frame would they have calculated?

      But, if the air temp is higher, say 28 - 30C, will a towel, draped around the fermenter and kept wet, be sufficient to satisfy the otherwise orderly cooling from 30C to 20C?

      Anyone care to comment?

      A couple of pics at this link:
      http://tinyurl.com/4fygusu
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 26, 2011
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Thursty2" <thursty2@...> wrote:

        > Thinking out aloud here, (but looking for answers too):
        >
        > The yeast pack states that:
        >
        > At an air temp range of 16 - 23C,
        > 8kgs (17#10zs) of sugar dissolved in
        > water with a start temp of 30C,
        > should provide an abv% of 18.3 over a
        > 7 - 12 day ferment.
        >
        > The puzzle for me is this:
        > Is the manufacturer saying that the 30C start (yeast pitch) temp will dissipate in an orderly fashion down to the ambient temp at which fermentation will be "ideal"? What time frame would they have calculated?

        The same timeframe it takes 25lt of 30C water to drop to 23C in a 23C room. About 2-3 hrs by my experience.

        > But, if the air temp is higher, say 28 - 30C, will a towel, draped around the fermenter and kept wet, be sufficient to satisfy the otherwise orderly cooling from 30C to 20C?

        I'd say it would suffice. Maybe a fan blowing a gentle breeze on the wet towel will help it much better. Never under-estimate the power of evaporating water to cool things off. That's the same principle used for Coolgardie safes and canvas waterbags in the Australian bush. I've see a pat of butter stay softly solid shaped (no oil) in 40C heat in a Coolgardie safe.

        > Anyone care to comment?
        >
        > A couple of pics at this link:
        > http://tinyurl.com/4fygusu

      • gavinflett
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 27, 2011
          I can vouch for that having spent time in a desert where the temperature was upwards of 74C, yes I did mean celcius. We put our water bottles in a sock drenched with water, leave them in the scorching sun and they were relatively very cool compared to the otherwise hot water that would actually burn skin.

          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Thursty2" <thursty2@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Thinking out aloud here, (but looking for answers too):
          > >
          > > The yeast pack states that:
          > >
          > > At an air temp range of 16 - 23C,
          > > 8kgs (17#10zs) of sugar dissolved in
          > > water with a start temp of 30C,
          > > should provide an abv% of 18.3 over a
          > > 7 - 12 day ferment.
          > >
          > > The puzzle for me is this:
          > > Is the manufacturer saying that the 30C start (yeast pitch) temp will dissipate in an orderly fashion down to the ambient temp at which fermentation will be "ideal"? What time frame would they have calculated?
          >
          > The same timeframe it takes 25lt of 30C water to drop to 23C in a 23C room. About 2-3 hrs by my experience.
          >

          > > But, if the air temp is higher, say 28 - 30C, will a towel, draped around the fermenter and kept wet, be sufficient to satisfy the otherwise orderly cooling from 30C to 20C?
          >
          > I'd say it would suffice. Maybe a fan blowing a gentle breeze on the wet towel will help it much better. Never under-estimate the power of evaporating water to cool things off. That's the same principle used for Coolgardie safes and canvas waterbags in the Australian bush. I've see a pat of butter stay softly solid shaped (no oil) in 40C heat in a Coolgardie safe.
          >
          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry
          >

          > > Anyone care to comment?
          > >
          > > A couple of pics at this link:
          > > http://tinyurl.com/4fygusu

        • landrover_ffr
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2011
            Hi,
            I can vouch for the Harry's method. In summer I use to have heat issues in my shed (35c+). I drop my s/s fermenter into a tray of water and hang towels over the top that touch the water. It can drops and hold the temp in a nice safe range of about 22-26c (but no 76 degree'ers here, it did get to 43 outside once)
            Regards,
            Sid.

            P.S. sorry everyone. I feel like I'm "saying" far to much tonight but I've missed not being able to contribute due to a lack of internet access.
          • Thursty2
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 4, 2011
              You mean like this? http://tinyurl.com/4fygusu