Re: Wine into Brandy

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 26, 2011
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert_Cutty66" <eolluinwe@...> wrote:

      > I distilled 5 bottles of wine it started coming out white and then ended up with a amber color is this the way it should be. I'm new at this so please be patient with me

      If you're getting colour, you're distilling too hard (too much energy input). It's now contaminated and will need to be redistilled.

    • Robert_Cutty66
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 27, 2011
        Thank you Harry

        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert_Cutty66" <eolluinwe@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I distilled 5 bottles of wine it started coming out white and then ended up with a amber color is this the way it should be. I'm new at this so please be patient with me
        >

        > If you're getting colour, you're distilling too hard (too much energy input). It's now contaminated and will need to be redistilled.
        >

        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry

      • Robert_Cutty66
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 27, 2011
          There is no dial on it i just plug it into the wall and that it starts

          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert_Cutty66" <eolluinwe@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I distilled 5 bottles of wine it started coming out white and then ended up with a amber color is this the way it should be. I'm new at this so please be patient with me
          >

          > If you're getting colour, you're distilling too hard (too much energy input). It's now contaminated and will need to be redistilled.
          >

          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry

        • grandview06 tds.net
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 27, 2011
            Our first run at distilling was with wine and out out come sounds the same.
            How is it contaminated and with what??

            Thanks, Lloyd

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 27, 2011
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "grandview06 tds.net" <Grandview06@...> wrote:

              > Our first run at distilling was with wine and out out come sounds the same.
              > How is it contaminated and with what??
              >
              > Thanks, Lloyd

              It's got colour in it, which can only come from the colour components of the wine. Wine is a fermentation, not a distillation. Wine is coloured by the grape skins, and any barrel used.

              Colour components are NOT volatile, meaning that in a properly run still, they cannot vaporize and come over as distillate. Therefore distilled wines are clear. However if you drive the still too hard, then droplets of your wash and anything normally non-volatile therein, can be entrained (included) into the rising vapour by force.

              All distillates in the alcohol game are clear like water when distilled properly and recondensed. Colour in finished ready-to-drink products is a function of additives, infusions, or barrelling; not the distillation.

              Go to my Library and read up on fruit brandy production with Prof. Kris Berglund...
              http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/artisan_distilling/index.htm

            • Trid
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 27, 2011
                --- On Sun, 3/27/11, Robert_Cutty66 <eolluinwe@...> wrote:

                > There is no dial on it i just plug it
                > into the wall and that it starts

                Unfortunately, you've encountered the reason why Mr. Distiller works, but doesn't work *well* Being able to control the heat (with a dial, or controlling a flame) is extremely important to the quality of the spirit.

                However,
                If you stick with the exact setup you have going, an option would be to distill until you start seeing color and then stop. Take the results if this distillation and then cut it in half with plain drinking water; i.e. half drinking water, and half freshly distilled wine (the term for the first distillation of anything is "low wines").
                Re-distill your water/low wines mix, but try this:
                Gather together 10 containers
                Whatever volume you got by distilling the wine the first time (500 ml, for example)...collect 1/10 of that (i.e. 50 ml) in each container.
                From here, discard the contents of the first container (or save it for bug killer). Smell and taste each of the remaining 9 containers.
                You may have something worth keeping in containers 4 (or 5) through 6 (or 7).
                If you don't like any of them, put them all together again, add water like before, and try again.
                Experiment a little.
                Worst case scenario, perhaps you end up with some nice grape vodka :)

                Cheers,
                Trid