Wine into Brandy

  • Robert_Cutty66
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 21, 2011
      If i put wine into a Mr. stiller would it make Brandy or how would i do this?
    • bigdaddyg851
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 22, 2011
        wine distilled is brandy !

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert_Cutty66" <eolluinwe@...> wrote:

        > If i put wine into a Mr. stiller would it make Brandy or how would i do this?

      • harisaki2004
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 23, 2011
          Hi Richard,
          After making Brandy for many years with a pot still, the best advice I can give you is to go to Harry's Alcohol library. In the article section you will find an article about alambic cognac. look for DISTILLATION IN ALAMBIC (Cognac Production) 1989 James F. Guymon Lecture
          ROBERT LEAUTE.

          Follow this and you wont go wrong.

          all the best Hari.

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 23, 2011
            Yes i know how would i go about do this or do i just pour wint into the Mr. Distiller??

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bigdaddyg851" <bigdaddyg851@...> wrote:

            > wine distilled is brandy !
            >
            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert_Cutty66" <eolluinwe@> wrote:
            > >
            > > If i put wine into a Mr. stiller would it make Brandy or how would i do this?

          • Thursty2
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 24, 2011
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert_Cutty66" <eolluinwe@...> wrote:

              > Yes i know how would i go about do this or do i just pour wint into the Mr. Distiller??

              HuH??

              Are you asking or telling or what??
              I thought you were asking, now I'm not sure if you're asking AND telling. Give us a clue please!

              What would you like to do, or have done already.

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 24, 2011
                yes , put the wine into mr distiller . distill it you have brandy .

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 24, 2011
                  You didn't follow harisaki2004 answer, or maybe you don't know where my Library is (I've posted it in my sigline dozens of times).

                  Ok. Go here, direct link...

                  http://distillers.tastylime.net/newSite/articles/cognac_production/index.htm

                  The Alcohol Library http://distillers.tastylime.net/
                • Mike
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 25, 2011
                    That's a damn good read - thank you Harry

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 26, 2011
                      You're welcome Mike.

                      By the way, people may not be aware, but harisaki2004 (mentioned the document in an earlier post) is a long-term member here and is also a professional winemaker & distiller. Recently he became the only certified organic distiller in Australia, making brandy using a wood-fired pot still.

                      So if he endorses a document on brandy procedure, you can be assured it's noteworthy.

                      And a free plug because as group owner I can waive the rules, in special circumstances. http://harrisorganicwine.com/

                      ===============================

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 26, 2011
                        I distilled 5 bottles of wine it started coming out white and then ended up with a amber color is this the way it should be. I'm new at this so please be patient with me

                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 26, 2011
                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert_Cutty66" <eolluinwe@...> wrote:

                          > I distilled 5 bottles of wine it started coming out white and then ended up with a amber color is this the way it should be. I'm new at this so please be patient with me

                          If you're getting colour, you're distilling too hard (too much energy input). It's now contaminated and will need to be redistilled.

                        • Robert_Cutty66
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 27, 2011
                            Thank you Harry

                            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert_Cutty66" <eolluinwe@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I distilled 5 bottles of wine it started coming out white and then ended up with a amber color is this the way it should be. I'm new at this so please be patient with me
                            >

                            > If you're getting colour, you're distilling too hard (too much energy input). It's now contaminated and will need to be redistilled.
                            >

                            > Slainte!
                            > regards Harry

                          • Robert_Cutty66
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 27, 2011
                              There is no dial on it i just plug it into the wall and that it starts

                              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert_Cutty66" <eolluinwe@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I distilled 5 bottles of wine it started coming out white and then ended up with a amber color is this the way it should be. I'm new at this so please be patient with me
                              >

                              > If you're getting colour, you're distilling too hard (too much energy input). It's now contaminated and will need to be redistilled.
                              >

                              > Slainte!
                              > regards Harry

                            • grandview06 tds.net
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 27, 2011
                                Our first run at distilling was with wine and out out come sounds the same.
                                How is it contaminated and with what??

                                Thanks, Lloyd

                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 27, 2011
                                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "grandview06 tds.net" <Grandview06@...> wrote:

                                  > Our first run at distilling was with wine and out out come sounds the same.
                                  > How is it contaminated and with what??
                                  >
                                  > Thanks, Lloyd

                                  It's got colour in it, which can only come from the colour components of the wine. Wine is a fermentation, not a distillation. Wine is coloured by the grape skins, and any barrel used.

                                  Colour components are NOT volatile, meaning that in a properly run still, they cannot vaporize and come over as distillate. Therefore distilled wines are clear. However if you drive the still too hard, then droplets of your wash and anything normally non-volatile therein, can be entrained (included) into the rising vapour by force.

                                  All distillates in the alcohol game are clear like water when distilled properly and recondensed. Colour in finished ready-to-drink products is a function of additives, infusions, or barrelling; not the distillation.

                                  Go to my Library and read up on fruit brandy production with Prof. Kris Berglund...
                                  http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/artisan_distilling/index.htm

                                • Trid
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 27, 2011
                                    --- On Sun, 3/27/11, Robert_Cutty66 <eolluinwe@...> wrote:

                                    > There is no dial on it i just plug it
                                    > into the wall and that it starts

                                    Unfortunately, you've encountered the reason why Mr. Distiller works, but doesn't work *well* Being able to control the heat (with a dial, or controlling a flame) is extremely important to the quality of the spirit.

                                    However,
                                    If you stick with the exact setup you have going, an option would be to distill until you start seeing color and then stop. Take the results if this distillation and then cut it in half with plain drinking water; i.e. half drinking water, and half freshly distilled wine (the term for the first distillation of anything is "low wines").
                                    Re-distill your water/low wines mix, but try this:
                                    Gather together 10 containers
                                    Whatever volume you got by distilling the wine the first time (500 ml, for example)...collect 1/10 of that (i.e. 50 ml) in each container.
                                    From here, discard the contents of the first container (or save it for bug killer). Smell and taste each of the remaining 9 containers.
                                    You may have something worth keeping in containers 4 (or 5) through 6 (or 7).
                                    If you don't like any of them, put them all together again, add water like before, and try again.
                                    Experiment a little.
                                    Worst case scenario, perhaps you end up with some nice grape vodka :)

                                    Cheers,
                                    Trid