Re: Questions regarding reflux replacement and anaerobic fermentation.

  • Thursty2
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 17 6:33 PM
      A 200ltr drum of water, in my experience, will condense a wash volume of about 25 ltrs where the ambient temp is around 22 - 28c and where product is taken at around 1 ltr per hour. Submerse a pond pump in the drum to deliver unrestricted flow of water to the condenser.

      The above is conditional on bringing the wash to boil on whatever power level, then reducing power to around 900 watt allowing the column to equilibriate for an hour before taking product. Equilibriating then taking product at higher input temperature significantly heats the cooling water.

      The setup with which the above is used is a Nixon-Stone design set on top a 50 ltr beer keg. The column is 50mm Cu and approx., 1200mm tall.

      http://tinyurl.com/18r

      The condenser is as per Nixon-Stone design. It regularly produces 3.5 ltrs of 95%abv from 25 ltrs of 9kg dextrose and water wash, topped by Still Spirits Classic Turbo yeast.