Re: [Distillers] Brita & Pur Filters

  • Bryan Bornais
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 10, 2011
      I used to filter through a Britta, and was not very impressed with the results.

      It is expensive to waste cartridges, and the flavour improvement was minimal.

      It is also labour intensive, and who knows what type of junk they throw into the plastic mix over there in China.

      The best method I have found (besides allowing generous heads/tails cuts, and having a high reflux ratio) is to simply put fresh carbon (boiled in water first) into a glass carboy with your neutral at about 60-65% ABV. Swirl it around often, and wait a week.

      Pack a 1.5 or 2in copper pipe with a 12in column of activated carbon, and pour your neutral through that to filter out the grey tinge. (Or just wait a couple weeks, and rack off the carboy, so as not to disturb the carbon.

      Throw out the carbon that was in the carboy. keep the carbon that you filtered through to put into your next batch, then use fresh carbon in the column next time.

      From: happy.feat@...
      Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 15:38:03 +0000
      Subject: [Distillers] Brita & Pur Filters

      Can these work for carbon filtering? There is a frat brother urban legend that says you can use these to filter cheap vodka.
      I imagine they might work on a smaller scale.
      Thoughts?

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to: