Brita & Pur Filters

  • roger
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 10, 2011
      Can these work for carbon filtering? There is a frat brother urban legend that says you can use these to filter cheap vodka.
      I imagine they might work on a smaller scale.
      Thoughts?
    • ben marks
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 10, 2011
        hi
        that mythbusters a few years ago i think it got busted as far as an expert vodka taster could pick them out in order even after they were ran through the filter there is this thing called an e-z filter that i have and works great i never tried it but i have a britta and it sure makes the tap water taste better so i think it would make an improvement in the taste but i think they would clog up quick worth a try if you have the picture and are willing to use a filter cartridge
        ...ben

        _________________________

        To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
        From: happy.feat@...
        Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 15:38:03 +0000
        Subject: [Distillers] Brita & Pur Filters

        Can these work for carbon filtering? There is a frat brother urban legend that says you can use these to filter cheap vodka.
        I imagine they might work on a smaller scale.
        Thoughts?
      • Bryan Bornais
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 10, 2011
          I used to filter through a Britta, and was not very impressed with the results.

          It is expensive to waste cartridges, and the flavour improvement was minimal.

          It is also labour intensive, and who knows what type of junk they throw into the plastic mix over there in China.

          The best method I have found (besides allowing generous heads/tails cuts, and having a high reflux ratio) is to simply put fresh carbon (boiled in water first) into a glass carboy with your neutral at about 60-65% ABV. Swirl it around often, and wait a week.

          Pack a 1.5 or 2in copper pipe with a 12in column of activated carbon, and pour your neutral through that to filter out the grey tinge. (Or just wait a couple weeks, and rack off the carboy, so as not to disturb the carbon.

          Throw out the carbon that was in the carboy. keep the carbon that you filtered through to put into your next batch, then use fresh carbon in the column next time.

          To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
          From: happy.feat@...
          Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 15:38:03 +0000

          Can these work for carbon filtering? There is a frat brother urban legend that says you can use these to filter cheap vodka.
          I imagine they might work on a smaller scale.
          Thoughts?

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to: