New source for supply's

  • Mikey
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2011
      Hey guys I am in here often reading but I don't post much. I am also a member on Homedistillers.org. My nick over there is Kentucky Shinner.
      I have started up a new website and the address is www.hillbillystills.com I hope you guys will stop by and see if there is anything that interest you. It you would like to see a product that I don't have offered yet please hit contact us and drop me an email. I will be adding more products as they become available. I am constantly looking for suppliers. Thanks
    • gavinflett
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 28, 2011
        Does anyone know where I can get Amyloglucosidase just by itself? I would like to re-use my yeast, but it doesn't ferment out like the original package

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 28, 2011
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gavinflett" <gavin_flett@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone know where I can get Amyloglucosidase just by itself? I would like to re-use my yeast, but it doesn't ferment out like the original package

          Amyloglucosidase is the ã-Amylase (gamma-Amylase) mentioned below.

          http://www.carolina.com/product/life+science/physiology/cellular+physiology+%26+enzymes/amyloglucosidase,+100+ml.do

          A bit pricey. $14 /100ml liquid

          However, the only advantage of ã-Amylase is that it is active in very acidic washes (pH3). You'd be better off using the Alpha & Beta powders. Way morre cost effective.

          You can get the Alpha and Beta mentioned below as powders here...
          http://www.milehidistilling.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=enzymes

          More info on enzymes...

          There's 3 types of Amylase, each with a specific task;
          á-amylase (alpha-Amylase)
          â-amylase (beta-Amylase)
          ã-Amylase (gamma-Amylase)

          á-Amylase: alpha-Amylase
          (EC 3.2.1.1 ) (CAS# 9014-71-5) (alternate names: 1,4-á-D-glucan glucanohydrolase; glycogenase) The á-amylases are calcium metalloenzymes, completely unable to function in the absence of calcium. By acting at random locations along the starch chain, á-amylase breaks down long-chain carbohydrates, ultimately yielding maltotriose and maltose from amylose, or maltose, glucose and "limit dextrin" from amylopectin. Because it can act anywhere on the substrate, á-amylase tends to be faster-acting than â-amylase. In animals, it is a major digestive enzyme and its optimum pH is 6.7-7.0.[2]

          In human physiology, both the salivary and pancreatic amylases are á-Amylases. They are discussed in much more detail at alpha-Amylase.

          Also found in plants (adequately), fungi (ascomycetes and basidiomycetes) and bacteria (Bacillus)

          â-Amylase: beta-Amylase
          (EC 3.2.1.2 ) (alternate names: 1,4-á-D-glucan maltohydrolase; glycogenase; saccharogen amylase) Another form of amylase, â-amylase is also synthesized by bacteria, fungi, and plants. Working from the non-reducing end, â-amylase catalyzes the hydrolysis of the second á-1,4 glycosidic bond, cleaving off two glucose units (maltose) at a time. During the ripening of fruit, â-amylase breaks starch into maltose, resulting in the sweet flavor of ripe fruit.

          Both á-amylase and â-amylase are present in seeds; â-amylase is present in an inactive form prior to germination, whereas á-amylase and proteases appear once germination has begun. Cereal grain amylase is key to the production of malt. Many microbes also produce amylase to degrade extracellular starches. Animal tissues do not contain â-amylase, although it may be present in microrganisms contained within the digestive tract.

          ã-Amylase: gamma-Amylase
          (EC 3.2.1.3 ) (alternative names: Glucan 1,4-á-glucosidase; amyloglucosidase; Exo-1,4-á-glucosidase; glucoamylase; lysosomal á-glucosidase; 1,4-á-D-glucan glucohydrolase) In addition to cleaving the last á(1-4)glycosidic linkages at the nonreducing end of amylose and amylopectin, yielding glucose, ã-amylase will cleave á(1-6) glycosidic linkages. Unlike the other forms of amylase, ã-amylase is most efficient in acidic environments and has an optimum pH of 3.

          HTH

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 28, 2011

            Stupid bloody yahoo doesn't render unicode text properly.  Here's the correct names...

            Enzyme names

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2011
              Used to make a 'dry' beer - small packages should be available in home brew shops. Also called glucoamylase.
              wal