Re: [Distillers] Re: Rhizopus oryzae

  • Juan C. Fuentes M.
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 13, 2011
      Hi, Harry. I am going to use a reflux still and activated carbon, is there a problem with ergot?
      Juan C. Fuentes
    • mav
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 13, 2011
        I can buy 500 grams of "Mauripan" Dry yeast made by AB/MAURI, for $4 dollars though my local market, (and they think they are making a killing). So if wanted to I could get a better deal! But, hey, I'll pay their mark up and keep the supply going! Buy local!

        Cheers
        Marc

        > ...I would think there are far safer fermenting agents to use for corn...like YEAST.
        >

        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry

      • Peggy Korth
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 13, 2011
          In a recent uTube interview with one of the famous mycologist from
          Washington State, Paul Staments, Paul stated that he is making ethanol from
          fungi--mushrooms. There could be an infinite number of ways to do something
          and so your experimentation could be beneficial to everyone who is willing
          to try something new. If you have a laboratory, then perhaps you have a
          table-top still where you can perform small experiments without a lot of
          waste. Taste could be an important issue with new varieties.

          Peggy

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 13, 2011
            I will do Peggy Korth. As soon I finish my research I will send to all of you.Thanks a lot.

            Juan C. Fuentes
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 13, 2011
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Juan C. Fuentes M." <jccmonteverde@...> wrote:

              > Hi, Harry. I am going to use a reflux still and activated carbon, is there a problem with ergot?
              > Juan C. Fuentes

              Yes there is a problem with ergot...

              http://tinyurl.com/4dwfjra

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 14, 2011
                Aspergillus oryzae is used in Japan to convert rice starch to fermentable sugars. You need yeast to ferment the sugars. Rhizopus strains are used in China and Korea.
                wal

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Juan C. Fuentes M." <jccmonteverde@...> wrote:

                > Hi, I have some Rhizopus oryzae at my lab. Is it suitable to perform a fermentation of corn?
                >
                > Juan C. Fuentes
                > 00-58-0414-7753783
                > Lab. Productos Naturales
                > UDO Sucre - Venezuela

              • pint_o_shine
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 14, 2011

                  > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Juan C. Fuentes M." <jccmonteverde@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi, Harry. I am going to use a reflux still and activated carbon, is there a problem with ergot?
                  > > Juan C. Fuentes

                  Rhizopus oryzae is the antiquity name for Aspergillus oryzae. It is the common fungus grown not quite to maturity for use in converting starce to sugar for making Saké. The enzymes in the white mycillium which grows throughout the starter grain is quite adapt at converting amylopectin and amylose to glucose. The enzymes are different than alpha or beta amylase in that one enzyme glucosidace cleaves all the chains down to glucose, fructose, galactose, or levilose. There are few disaccharides left when it is finished. Aspergillus niger also makes the same enzymes but A. oryzae is much more prolific.
                  AS I explained to another the most difficult part is preparing the corn(maize)for conversion. It needs to be heated to a high enough temperature to swell the starch. The steaming methods for rice don't work well. The hard shell of hemicellulose prevents the enzymes from penetrating the starch. Removal of the hemicelulose covering with lye( making hominy or grits) is a common practice but continues to make the process more expensive.
                  I hope this helps. I have done this process enough time to know that you need to use both A. Niger and A. oryzae to do a proper conversion. The a. niger acidifies the mash enough to prevent butyric infection. I always had trouble with the vomit smelling infection until I started culturing a. niger also. a. niger makes copious amounts of citric acid which lowers the ph enough to prevent further bacterial infection. As in all brewing and fermentation processes, cleanliness is key.
                • pint_o_shine
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 14, 2011

                    > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Juan C. Fuentes M." <jccmonteverde@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi, Harry. I am going to use a reflux still and activated carbon, is there a problem with ergot?
                    > > Juan C. Fuentes

                    I forgot, you still need to use a good champagne yeast to get the fermentation while the fungus is converting the starch to sugar.
                    lalvin ec1118 is a great choice, as well as Red Star Champagne yeast. Nearly the same characteristics for alcohol tolerance and flavor profile.(now I went and did it)