seperating grain from mash

  • stillyaakman
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2011
      Another idea I've used for grappa that may work for grain also. I made a false bottom for my boiler from perforated stainless to keep the solids off the bottom and ran it without any problems.
      The grain could maybe suspended in a bag and the alcohol distilled from it as the vapor rises through it.
      I have had fairly good luck distilling on grain without it burning on the bottom. I use an old heavy aluminum pressure canner for a boiler.
      I like to distill on the grain for several reasons. First, I'm lazy and seperation is a chore, second, I don't like the thought of losing any of the potential booze left in wet mash, third, I think I can taste more of the grain flavor when it goes through the still. That may just be my perception I don't know.