Have I got Vinegar?

  • gff_stwrt
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2011
      Hi, folks,
      I have been fermenting some peaches (with some water for ease of handling and some sugar so that the water does not make the sugar content too low).
      Some is in buckets with a lid just sitting on top and an old sheet over that to keep the bugs out.
      A couple of days ago there was a whitish stuff forming on top, a bit like raw egg white in texture.
      Since then it has thickened.
      But there is not a strong vinegar smell though I had a hint of it a while back.
      Do you think I have vinegar?
      If so, is it worth distilling anyway for the alcohol?
      Or should I continue with it and make it into proper vinegar?
      Thanks for your help,
      The Baker