Aflatoxin corn

  • Juan C. Fuentes M.
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2011
      Hi, I am looking for a new way to produce corn vodka for a university proyect. I am do want to use two fungus. Aspergillus niger y sacharomise ceverisiae. A niger produce alfa-amilas that turn corn's starch into glucose, so S ceverisiae will made EtOH from it. I have read many work about it. They produce fuel - EtOH using this way, but I am afraid about aflotoxins. I hope eliminate it with destilling and activated carbon. I am going to work at pH 5, I read A. niger do not produce toxins at that pH.
      Am I right? or my product will be toxic.
      Does sake producer has the same problem with Aspergillus oryzae?

      Juan C. Fuentes
      Lab. Productos Naturales
    • Peggy Korth
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 7, 2011
        Hello Juan,

        As I understand the process, the aflatoxin of concern would be from the corn
        prior to being mashed or corn infected in the field or storage. The toxins
        could become incorporated into the entire process and most dangerous in the
        residue after separating solids. And so the precautions on utilizing the
        final residue as a feed are prohibitive.

        Aflatoxin can be built up in tissue and passed on in milk from the consumer
        to the off-spring be it cow or human. It is cumulative in the liver and
        pancreas and also affects red-blood cells. Cancer in breast and gonads is
        possible if consumed in significant quantities.

        The southern tier of states is not a good place to grow stored corn because
        of the humidity and warm conditions that encourage aflatoxin production.
        One of the accepted treatments for aflatoxin is to package the corn in large
        plastic containers and douse with hydrogen peroxide. This treatment was
        discovered and practiced in Arizona in a university grant and I have not
        heard of it lately--perhaps because it is not always successful.

        At least this is what I recall reading while doing research in graduate
        studies at a school of public health.
        Peggy

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 7, 2011
          I have been researching this technology for 4 years on and off. I have isolate both the A. niger and the Aspergillus oryzae.
          I have yet to find a A. niger that expresses the needed amount of amylase needed to convert corn well. A combination of the two, niger producing citric acid and the oryzae for the enzyme production works well. I have managed to produce the desired alcohol content from both corn and rice. Corn benefits form an extra step of removing the pericarp using alkali (se making masa harina or hominy). This converts a lot of the vitamins to a more usable form and increases the folic acid. It also allow the enzymes to physically get to the starch better.
          The distilled spirit for this type of fermentation is a traditional beverage in Okanawa called Awamori.
          The niger adds the distint flavor by keeping the citric acid content high during fermentation. Make sure to use a high alcohol tolerant yeast such as a champagne yeast as this semi-solid state fermentation produces very high alcohol content.
          Neither the niger or the oryzae are known for aflatoxin. The A. flavus(very closely resembling oryzae) produces aflatoxin. The afla toxin emmits visible light when exposed to UV. There are many articles about using UV to detect aflatoxin.