worm question

  • stillyaakman
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 6, 2011
      I am changing to a worm for condensing and am having a problem getting it to seal where it goes through the wall of the flake stand. I had a bulkhead fitting that was the wrong size for my tubing. I have a mip x compression fitting. I drilled a hole in the flake stand the size of the fitting and threaded it in used a threaded coupling on the inside ground off the stop in the compression side. All that worked ok but I can't get it to stop dripping. I'm in the position of needing to manufacture whatever I use (lack of funds, no job, plenty of time to distill) Thinking of cutting some copper pipe flattening it drilling and then soldering it to the fitting to give me a shoulder to put a gasket behind. Any other ideas? Thanks, Dan
    • CRSound
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 6, 2011
        Hey Dan what is a FLAKE Stand?
        I had an issue with My Pot still connection to My Barell of 25 Foot 3/8 inch copper. What I found was where I used a tubing cutter and then flare tool, the tubing cutter left behind a small lip of copper and when I put that to the flange tool it would not come out uneven. Other words the flange was allays lop sided. To fix this just do the cut, and then look very close at the cut and make sure it is the same all a round before you flange it, use a box knife to adjust. After that I had no issues with any of my soldering or joints/couplers. As I have only one coupler to worry over this was a big relief. So What is a FLAKE?
        Over the Rail N' Down The Hatch,, its the little things that make us better !

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6, 2011
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stillyaakman" <stillyaakman@...> wrote:

          > I am changing to a worm for condensing and am having a problem getting it to seal where it goes through the wall of the flake stand. I had a bulkhead fitting that was the wrong size for my tubing. I have a mip x compression fitting. I drilled a hole in the flake stand the size of the fitting and threaded it in used a threaded coupling on the inside ground off the stop in the compression side. All that worked ok but I can't get it to stop dripping. I'm in the position of needing to manufacture whatever I use (lack of funds, no job, plenty of time to distill) Thinking of cutting some copper pipe flattening it drilling and then soldering it to the fitting to give me a shoulder to put a gasket behind. Any other ideas? Thanks, Dan

          A 5 dollar tube of silicone will do the job. It only contacts water, not the alcohol inside the worm. Give it 24 hrs to cure and it will prolly last for years.

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 6, 2011
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "CRSound" <crsound@...> wrote:

            > Hey Dan what is a FLAKE Stand?
            > I had an issue with My Pot still connection to My Barell of 25 Foot 3/8 inch copper. What I found was where I used a tubing cutter and then flare tool, the tubing cutter left behind a small lip of copper and when I put that to the flange tool it would not come out uneven. Other words the flange was allays lop sided. To fix this just do the cut, and then look very close at the cut and make sure it is the same all a round before you flange it, use a box knife to adjust. After that I had no issues with any of my soldering or joints/couplers. As I have only one coupler to worry over this was a big relief. So What is a FLAKE?
            > Over the Rail N' Down The Hatch,, its the little things that make us better !
            >

            > I am changing to a worm for condensing and am having a problem getting it to seal where it goes through the wall of the flake stand.

            Flake stand is the water barrel that the worm sits in.

          • stillyaakman
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 9, 2011
              > A 5 dollar tube of silicone will do the job. It only contacts water, not the alcohol inside the worm. Give it 24 hrs to cure and it will prolly last for years.

              Hi Harry and guys,
              I solved the problem by the method I described. It worked well. I would have used silicone if the funds had been available,but had to rely on material on hand.
              dan
            • CRSound
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 9, 2011
                Way to go,I used a sealant of silicone, then after it leaked I used GUNK(a Glue) and it did not leak as it really never set's