Aged dunder fermentation

  • Alex Castillo
    Message 1 of 31 , Feb 5, 2011
      Hi

      Much have been written down about aged dunder and its use mainly as a
      diluent of low wines. In that event Harry have said, and Wal has posted
      extracts of old books which show that in Jamaica is used as much as
      50/50 with water, using only the middle part. My experience has been so
      far mainly with fresh, next day after distillation, dunder. My
      understanding WAS that this aging naturally occurred after several
      months or at least weeks after fresh dunder was in contact with air rich
      in wild yeast and bacteria; I also know that this process can be quicken
      by adding lactic bacteria contained in yogurt and cheese. However the
      other day I left some fresh dunder in one of my fermenters (usually I
      kept it in a closed gallon jug) not for aging it, but waiting for some
      molasses and great was my surprise to discover that in the matter of
      DAYS the white film, common in aged dunder had formed! Going a step
      further I added a generous amount of molasses, some water and plenty air
      (but no nutrients) and...it fermented! It did it so nicely that not only
      the smell through fermentation was pleasant, but the yield increased!
      Those low wines are waiting to be distilled right way, but my concern
      was that the white cap could somehow interfere with a proper
      fermentation giving low yields, bad smell or stopping it at all. None
      of those was observed. In fact, yesterday I dumped some fresh dunder in
      the fermenter and just today can be observed the development of the
      white film/cap. So my question is, why people in Jamaica use to discard
      that film? Why can we just use it? Probably an input from Harry, Wal,
      Jim or some other MKO can enlight us about it. In the mean time I´ll
      keep you informed, in a few months, how it went after spirit-distilling
      and oak aging.

      Ideas welcome!

      Alex
    • Carlos alberto Sanchez