RE: [Distillers] Re: Making Cuts

  • Gavin Flett
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 3, 2011
      I agree, I have been distilling for just over a year. And I'm sure that this is still considered 'newbie by most' but I can make tasty alcohol. Besides, who's to say the New Distillers are going to answer my questions correctly. To be honest, I have been reading your posts for almost a year and I have a hard time understanding most of the terminology used. I am not a chemist, or an engineer or a biologist so most of what is said goes over my head and not to mention people use different terminologies for the same thing. I have read Tony Acklands entire site as well as the 'Compleat Distiller' and 'Whiskey' as well as some other sources of info, some of the information in those sources contradicts other published information so at times there is a question as to how to proceed.

    • CRSound
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 3, 2011
        Ladies & Gentlemen Now On Stage the 20 or so Original founders of distillers from 1999, Lets Hear it for them as they watch both forms at the same time, A feat unknown to normal humans will be accomplished here today in Living Color. This will be accomplished with out clogging up either mail boxes, as these 20 or so have and keep both !!!

        Thank You Favorite viewer this has been a Community message for your behave.
        Over The Rail N' Down The Hatch

        Personally I subscribe to a number of forums and I have yet to come
        across one where there is a Junior as well as Senior forum.
      • gff_stwrt
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 4, 2011
          Hi, Peter and folks,
          I am a member of a couple of other forums and have seriously thought of suggesting one of them consider breaking into a junior and a senior section. Maybe you should start off in some sort of junior section and be eligible to join in the discussions of the senior group after maybe a month or two months.

          (Which is MORE rather than less restrictive than you seem to be suggesting....)

          But it would ensure you gain a little knowledge and experience, with the opportunity to enter discussions at the beginner level, before you get into the advanced stuff with ideas to revolutionize the science and practice of distillation.
          (Hell, I did it, too!)
          And yet not be so long as to diminish your enthusiasm!
          And I think you can READ the senior forum from the start anyway, so you can read the more advanced stuff here and in Harry's library; That way a lot of your questions might be answered by the time you join the senior forum.
          And yes, as to cut-off points, time is the simplest and no-one gets offended at the passing of time.

          Of course you have a good point about explanations in new distillers being in more or less layman's terms; something I will be more conscious of now.

          Regards,
          The Baker as Devil's Advocate.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Peter Huisman <p-j-h@...> wrote:

          > With all due respects Harry, is a dead horse being beaten here?
          > Where's the cutoff point?
          >
          > At what level are questions to Distiilers determined to be "newbie", or
          > vice versa for that matter. And by whom? Those who think they already
          > know it all and don't wish to be bothered with newbie stuff? I don't
          > think I've read a post yet that advises the poster to search for answers
          > in the "Distillers" forum.
          >
          > I've seen plenty of "newbie" questions answered by posters who also post
          > to "Distillers", in a fashion I would deem to be above "newbie"
          > understanding. Newbies, asking questions on New-Distillers should be
          > afforded answers in layman's terms. Otherwise why have both forums.??
          >
          > Personally I subscribe to a number of forums and I have yet to come
          > across one where there is a Junior as well as Senior forum.
          >
          > I'm trying to understand the logic.
          >
          > ----------------------------------
        • Todd Stewart
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 4, 2011
            So, I'm gonna start using my all-grain homebrew beer system to make all-grain wash..

            I've started a batch of 8# of Wheat DME and Turbo Yeast in a 3 gallon batch that's fermenting
            now...   I'll distill probably next weekend..

            Does anyone have a favored grain recipe?? I've seen the corn recipes, etc.. But am thinking
            I may steep a touch of chocolate malt next time with the extract to see if i notice a difference
            in the final product.  Would like to keep with basic Home Brew Shop grain options... lets be
            honest, its just easier.

            -xlc

          • Robert Earl
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 21, 2011

              Hi Simon,

              I’d gladly step in mate, but I’ll be out of action all of Thursday.

              Cheers,

              Rob