Recovering lost alcohol in aging chips

  • Bennett, Mark E
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 30, 2011

      Not sure if anybody has tried this but I have quite a lot of spent aging chips (oak chips) that I have been saving in a 6L jar (I hate throwing anything away).  I realized that there is a considerable quantity of alcohol that has soaked into these chips and probably some residual  flavour.  The question is will I poison myself if I dump it back into the still with 20 litres of first run sprit (about 40%).    I had originally been thinking I could recover some sprit as well as a little flavour but then started thinking maybe I could start out with fresh chip and speed up the whole process.   I realize there is no substitute for time but I am way to impatient at the best of times

      Has anybody out there tried this and survived ?

    • Trid
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 30, 2011
        It's really a factor of diminishing returns.  You *can* do it, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's worth the effort.  6L of saturated chips is nowhere remotely near 6, 2, or even 1/2 L of actual spirit.
        No, you won't poison yourself by doing what you suggest.  If anything in the oak were toxic, would be be soaking it in our hooch?

        You'll have a much better return for your efforts by whipping up another batch of your wash of choice than trying to squeeze every last drop out of the oak chips.

        Trid
        -Chalk it up to being a part of the Angels' share.

        Not sure if anybody has tried this but I have quite a lot of spent aging chips (oak chips) that I have been saving in a 6L jar (I hate throwing anything away).  I realized that there is a considerable quantity of alcohol that has soaked into these chips and probably some residual  flavour.  The question is will I poison myself if I dump it back into the still with 20 litres of first run sprit (about 40%).    I had originally been thinking I could recover some sprit as well as a little flavour but then started thinking maybe I could start out with fresh chip and speed up the whole process.   I realize there is no substitute for time but I am way to impatient at the best of times

        Has anybody out there tried this and survived ?

      • geoff burrows
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 30, 2011
          Try using them in a smoker should burn pretty well with all the alcohol in the wood.  Don't know what the smoke will smell like though, if at all with all that ethanol in it
          Geoff
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 30, 2011
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Bennett, Mark E" <mark.e.bennett@...> wrote:

            > Has anybody out there tried this and survived ?

            ???? dead men don't talk. ;)
          • mav
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 1 4:42 AM
              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Bennett, Mark E" <mark.e.bennett@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Has anybody out there tried this and survived ?
              > >
              > ???? dead men don't talk. ;)

              Harry you make me laugh! Using consumed oak wood chips in a smoker oven / chamber is fine. I've been using them for a few years now and I'm still alive, but I've lost a lot brain cells since then! I blame the doctors, them and there crazy stories;)

              But really, they are ok to use.

              Cheers
              Marc